Fry’s Electronics Service Center  » Business  »
0.5
2300 West Baseline Road, Tempe, AZ 85283
  • What I like about Fry's is that they do indeed have everything you can imagine and usually at a great price
  • For weeks they kept telling me that they could not find a problem with the computer
  • They told me it would cost around a hundred bucks if the problem was a hardware issue

• by Dlight

Most people that live in the east valley of Phoenix know about the Fry’s Electronics Superstore in Tempe. Geeks, business owners, and tech folks drool over the ads in the Sunday paper, which means that the place is usually teeming with activity. On the weekends it can be difficult to get a parking spot close in.

What I like about Fry’s is that they do indeed have everything you can imagine and usually at a great price. However, buyer beware are the code words for purchasing computers or gear. If you buy a warranty, it won’t be worth much when you go to use it. In fact, it is pretty worthless.

My hubby and I have purchased from Fry’s for years and as long as you can stay away from their service center you may do okay. If a computer or monitor fails, watch out baby. You are in for a lot

of grief that will make you want to pull your hair out. To say that the process is inconvenient is an understatement. Look up the word inconvenient in the dictionary and you’ll see a picture of Fry’s Electronics service team. And you need to be really careful because they are big on up selling useless services.

The last time we had to deal with them it was an eight week process that still never resolved our problems with a newer computer in the store. This meant uploading all of our work files to a loaner and waiting to get our newly repaired computer back.

For weeks they kept telling me that they could not find a problem with the computer. At our house it was a nightmare. I began to wonder if they ever really turned on the computer at all or if it just sat there. Finally, when I was ...

• ready to get out a baseball bat and start hitting anything in sight, they told me they could not fix the computer and I’d have to buy a new one, which the warranty would not cover. Funny, when we were sold that dang warranty this is exactly why we bought it. To cover a crashed computer! Now, all they wanted was our money. I said no and they told me to pick up the computer. Nothing had been fixed in eight weeks.

Mind you, I don’t go to the back of the bus easy so I gave them a hard time and demanded that they send someone to my home to check the computer here. They balked. I pushed harder. They told me it would cost around a hundred bucks if the problem was a hardware issue. There’s that failed warranty again. Ugh!

After my playing Miss Bossy Demanding Lady, they reluctantly

sent out a young newly graduated tech they had been breaking in out in the field. He was a pleasant and well dressed fellow who checked out the computer for about 5 minutes and let us know that the problem was indeed not the computer, but the monitor. It was dying. He felt embarrassed and did not charge us a penny.

I guess what ticked me the most is that with all the tech knowledge these folks in the service department are touted to have, not one of them ever considered checking the monitor. Lame. All that trouble and hassle and one new tech figured it out in 5 minutes. Double lame. We did buy a new monitor at Fry’s but not the warranty. We’ve learned that they will do anything to not have to live up to the terms of the agreement. There are lots of loop holes, all to benefit them and not the customer. Be careful.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4113041056990630/k2311a0413/4.13.10