The Original Nintendo Game Boy Advance
2.5
  • The original Game Boy Advance at the time of release was actually pretty hyped and a lot of people was looking forward to it, and in my opinion I think it lived up to the hype in terms of the quality of the games and the step ups it made from its predecessor, but it still suffers from one fatal flaw that hinders this portable gaming system, a flaw that is actually addressed in the other version of the system, the Game Boy Advance SP, but we’ll get into that later
  • If it didn’t have this problem, honestly, I would have almost no problems with this console
  • So I have to say, that I can only recommend this to collectors only, and am forced to give this, a 5 out of a 10

• by Shintai

The Nintendo Game Boy Advance is the successor to the Nintendo Game Boy. (This had 3 variations which were the very original Game Boy, the Game Boy Pocket and the Game Boy Color) The Game Boy Advance has only two variations though, the Original Game Boy Advance, which I am reviewing right now, and the Game Boy Advance SP, which I’ll get into in another review, because the differences between the two, do indeed warrant another review.

this portable gaming system, a flaw that is actually addressed in the other version of the system, the Game Boy Advance SP, but we’ll get into that later. First off, since this is a portable gaming system, it has an LCD screen in order to play games. There are 6 buttons on the system and a directional pad; the A and B buttons, the R and L shoulder buttons the start and select buttons and there’s also a switch that turns the console on or off. The system is competently built, I’ve seen these things goes through some damage and all that really happens is that the battery cover goes missing, but as far as durability, the worst thing that can happen is probably the shoulder buttons giving out. Now, to get into that crucial flaw I was talking ...

• about before, it has to do with the fact that the screen is too dark. There’s no back light on this thing, so you need to put it in direct sunlight, or lamp light, or whatever light in order to see what’s going on. This really, honestly, freaking sucks. If it didn’t have this problem, honestly, I would have almost no problems with this console. I mean, the games are great and it’s even backwards compatible with the original Game Boy! The original Game Boy had some really great games!

The games that this thing has are actually really good. There’s the remakes of the Final Fantasy games I, II, IV and VI, there’s the Castlevania games, the Super Mario games, Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission, Pokémon (if you’re into that sort of thing, I am not myself

but a lot of people are) Golden Suns 1 and 2 and many more. The library of games that this thing has is great. The games are very reminiscent of the Super Nintendo actually. Obviously the Game Boy Advance is more powerful than the Super Nintendo overall, but the games are still mostly 2d so they look a lot like SNES games.

In the end, while the console when it came out was worth getting, nowadays, you have the Game Boy Advance SP, which fixes a lot of the issues with the original Game Boy Advance. So I have to say, that I can only recommend this to collectors only, and am forced to give this, a 5 out of a 10. The console itself isn’t bad per se, it’s just that there’s a better version of the same thing in every possible way.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1612041056700630/k2311a0412/4.12.10