Himalayan Breed Cat
  • I bought my one and only Himalayan cat over 12 years ago
  • Ours does not have eye issues any longer but for the first 5 years of his life I had to clean his eyes daily to avoid eye infections
  • They are good apartment cats and that is one of the best things I can say about this breed

• by mamajess

I bought my one and only Himalayan cat over 12 years ago. He is still with us but I will never buy this breed ever again. They are handsome cats but just an awful breed. These cats are half Persian and half Siamese cat. Basically they have the negative personality traits of both.

They are snobby and loud. They often have a look of displeasure on their faces. Their hair is so long they cannot manage it themselves and this gives them lots of fur balls. The way their nose is snubbed causes some health problems.

Ours does not have eye issues any longer but for the first 5 years of his life I had to clean his eyes daily to avoid eye infections. The teeth and gums of

these cats are more prone to tartar from the way their lips hang over them. I have owned many random mixed breed cats and have never had the issues I have had with this cat. In order to keep our cat from being full of mats we have to have him shaved once a year.

He hates it but our vet recommends we do so for his digestion. Even with the shaving, once his fur grows back he vomits weekly because of the sheer volume of fur he ingests. I understand this is very common with both Himalayan and Persian cats. The himalayan has wonderful soft fur that is very silky and long.

The tail has long fur, the feet all have fur on the pads of them. When ...

• your cat is young its color is much lighter. I have a blue point and he is all white with a grey mask, feet and tail but as he has aged even with whitening shampoos we have been unable to keep his coat bright. The long hair is almost like angora and it tangles very easily.

These cats require daily brushing and several baths a year. They also require a lot of tooth brushing which they hate. I would say these are among the top breeds needing the most care. Worst of all with these cats is the shedding.

As I said before their fur does not feel like most cats and it sticks to everything. Even my plants have cat fur on them. I do love my cat,

but everyone else with this breed that I have talked to has the same complaints. As a breed they require too much from their owners without being very social.

I will not get another of these cats when mine passes on and am giving them a low rating. I chose this cat based on its beauty and low energy. They are good apartment cats and that is one of the best things I can say about this breed. They need you to do a lot to keep them up, but they are fine in small space and they really do look awesome.

I am embarrassed to have bought a cat based on its looks and I encourage you to look more into this breed and find out more about its quirks before you buy or adopt one.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2910041055780330/k2311a0410/4.10.10