21 Jumpstreet: Brother Hanson And The Miracle of Renner’s Pond Season 2, Episode 18  » TV  »
2.0
  • But when they destroy another science teacher's home and puts a monkey in there and threatens another woman's life for speaking her mind about creationism, I believe the writer's went too far
  • Another example of going too far - I know that kids, both girls and boys, find many ways to seduce one another but using Jesus and God as words of foreplay is just downright weird and icky
  • I know it was Hanson's case and I love Johnny Depp but I really like when he interacts with the team, especially Penhall
  • Those two have a great bromance and I enjoy watching it

• by sofcthy

Hanson goes undercover at a school where people are burning books in protest of teaching creationism.

This episode had the great potential to tell a rivoting storyline…the debate between religion and evolution. At first, the writers were conveying the story well. A science teacher at the school, Mr. Crawford refuses to teach creationism to his students. He believes his son Cameron’s coming back from the dead is a miracle and a sign from God that he should do this work.

At first, there are some good debates going on about creationism and religion, however, that falls to the wayside later on in the episode

when the writers decide to make all religious people seem like stupid, violent people who will go to any lengths to get their message across.

Yes, I understand that debates such as this can explode out of hand. People are usually very passionate about either believing in God or not. Still, to portray one side as crazy is wrong.

The religious people were seen keeping their children out of class for the two weeks evolutionism is taught. Okay, I could see that happening. I could even see them burning books or threatening to do so. But when they destroy another science teacher’s ...

• home and puts a monkey in there and threatens another woman’s life for speaking her mind about creationism, I believe the writer’s went too far.

Another example of going too far - I know that kids, both girls and boys, find many ways to seduce one another but using Jesus and God as words of foreplay is just downright weird and icky. I cringe every time I see the young girl comparing Cameron to Jesus as she is coming on to him. Also, when Cameron realizes he touched a girl, he throws himself into the water and baptizes himself.

At the end of the show,

Cameron climbs atop a high building and threatens to jump in order to show that he is “blessed and one of the chosen.” I know the writers wanted to do something dramatic at the end but I, as a believer in God, feel that writers tend to make religion more fanatical than true to life.

I also did not enjoy the fact that the rest of Jumpstreet were not shown very much. I know it was Hanson’s case and I love Johnny Depp but I really like when he interacts with the team, especially Penhall. Those two have a great “bromance” and I enjoy watching it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1010041055460330/k2311a0410/4.10.10