Allsop Home & Garden Soji Silk Effects Square Lantern, Bronze  » Housewares  »
  • I had enjoyed their more traditional and simple round ones, but couldn’t resist the allure of something new
  • What I love is that the lantern looks so pretty by day
  • Judging by products like these, I really like this company and I like that they’ve continued to expand their line in interesting ways
  • They recommend hanging these lanterns from shepherd’s hooks and I couldn’t agree more
  • But, I am still very pleased with the shape and the look,which I think would be a great add to a Japanese or craftsman style home

• by Scarlet Hughes

At 29 dollars plus shipping this seems expensive for a single solar light. I had enjoyed their more traditional and simple round ones, but couldn’t resist the allure of something new. And the price was just a few dollars more, so I figured I’d try at least one. Now the old fabric ones I am used to are more opaque, like rice paper.

This one is extremely transparent. It’s a nice effect in the day, because it keeps the lantern from seeming to bulky, it just looks light and airy and doesn’t interrupt my view of the garden or look cluttered in a small space such as my tiny back porch. It does mean that at night I can see right through it to the little led light inside.

That’s a

bit disappointing to me as the other one’s did such a good job of convincing me that they were glowing as if they had candles in them. I use my solar lanterns in a decorative way, rather than something to really see by. Happily, while the tiny LED light inside is a less welcoming bluish white, not a warm white like my others, it’s not bright so it won’t blind anyone who looks at it.

Another surprise with this product is that the ends of the seams of the silk fabric are a bit frayed where they meet the frame, so that makes it look cheaper and less quality than it appeared in the photos online. However, I would say that in the few months I have owned it the fraying ...

• has not become worse or impacted the look or integrity of this lantern adversely. It’s not something I’m alarmed about at this point, just something I have to be aware of for next time.

What I love is that the lantern looks so pretty by day. The bronze silk has a timeless charm and a slightly iridescent sheen by day and night. Anyway, I just love the shape, sort of square and round at the same time.

Judging by products like these, I really like this company and I like that they’ve continued to expand their line in interesting ways. They recommend hanging these lanterns from shepherd’s hooks and I couldn’t agree more. They look just charming that way and it makes them more portable so I can use them where

ever I want.

I suppose this lantern gets points taken off for not 100% meeting with my expectations based upon the pictures I saw on the website and my experiences with their other asian style lanterns. But, I am still very pleased with the shape and the look,which I think would be a great add to a Japanese or craftsman style home. The performance of these lanterns, like the others I have ordered from Allsop continues to meet and exceed my expectations.

I am not precious with my outdoor decorations and make no heroic attempts to save them from the effects of the weather where I live, which can be very rainy and windy at times. So, take it from me when I say that the durability and performance of these lanterns is outstanding.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5310041055260230/k2311a0410/4.10.10