World Market Amalfi Pool Lounger
  • I bought this last year around summer time
  • In the store I liked the medium brown color and I was surprised to discover that the pool lounger displayed next to what I thought was a matching coffee table were actually the same piece of furniture configured in different ways
  • I was quite sure this I was not going to do better on the price anywhere, even with the additional cost of buying the cushion for 89.99
  • I found a striped cushion I liked and bought it too
  • I have yet to regret the amount of time I spent slaving over assembling this piece of furniture

• by Scarlet Hughes

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

I’ve wanted a pool lounger for relaxing in the back yard for years now, but I just couldn’t afford the ones I have seen in places such as Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel. Five hundred plus dollars for a piece of furniture that lives outside is just too rich for my blood. I bought this last year around summer time. They had them on display and looked like they would be perfect for my deck. In the store I liked the medium brown color and I was surprised to discover that the pool lounger displayed next to what I thought was a matching coffee table were actually the same piece of furniture configured in different ways.

I was quite sure this I was not going to do better on the price anywhere, even with the additional cost of buying the cushion for 89. 99. I found a striped cushion I liked and bought it too. It was sold to me unassembled in a long thin box, and yes it was kind of heavy and awkward to transport.

Luckily I was able to fold the

seat down and fit it into my smallish car. So, I got it home in the middle of the day and immediately set to assembling it. I actually consider myself pretty good at assembling flat pack furniture. However I did find that this pool lounger had a fair amount of assembly required and assembling it correctly took patience and tightening all the bolts so the pieces would fit together flush with each other was hard work.

I became sore and achy, actually had to take breaks so that I didn’t get too frustrated and start making mistakes. I’m glad I took my time. It was worth it. By the time I plopped the cushion on it I was in desperate need of a rest.

I found it to be surprisingly comfortable. I wanted to lie there all day, but I was dying to see what else it could do. I played with it and found that it could recline at different angles. When I made it completely flat, all of a sudden it was a long and comfy bench.

And of course, I had ...

• the option of pushing in both sides, removing the cushion and making it into a rectangular coffee table. Now, one thing I have to mention with this lounger/table is that although it claims to be made of durable hardwoods, in assembling it I found the wood to be a little soft and very porous. I put so much work into assembling it, I was of course determined to do what I could to protect it. At World Market they sell oil to rub into the wood to keep it weather resistant and keep it from turning grey.

I highly recommend doing this at least a couple times a year or the wood will not only turn grey, but may even develop black spots. That’s started to happen to mine after a few months with heavy rain, but happily I caught it before it got bad. I say, at least initially oil it really well. Expect it to just soak up that oil and expect to spend quite a while working it into all the nooks and crannies.

The first time I oiled it, it

felt like I was out there all day. By the time I was done, it still looked like it could take more oil. So, keeping it protected from the elements does eventually mean more trips to the store to buy the oil. An additional, but necessary expense in my opinion.

Keeping that in mind, and that some people will find the assembly of this lounger tedious or even difficult and I can highly recommend this product both for the phenomenal price and the flexibility of use. Yes, I love this pool lounger!

As a testament to this, a week after I bought the first one I bought and assembled a second one. If they’re available again this year I plan on buying a third. I have yet to regret the amount of time I spent slaving over assembling this piece of furniture.

It has already rewarded me with many relaxing afternoons and evenings. If I can remember to keep it well oiled, I expect to enjoy this lounger for many more summers to come.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5710041055210230/k2311a0410/4.10.10