Up in the Air movie  » Movies  »
  • Sometimes, I like his stuff, and sometimes I don't
  • The problem is that after that, the movie basically ends, and in doing so, it becomes a very depressing motion picture

• by Orrymain

Up in the Air surprised me. I wasn’t sure that I would like it. The reason for that is that it stars George Clooney. Sometimes, I like his stuff, and sometimes I don’t. I wasn’t anticipating much. Thus, when I was being entertained, I was a little surprised. Up in the Air was actually engaging and has great moments in it. However, don’t rush to conclusions yet about my opinion.

Clooney played Ryan Bingham, a man who fires people for a living.

He spends most of his life in the air, on a plane, going from place to place — to fire people. You’d think that would be a depressing profession, but he loves he. Then economic conditions force a change, and along comes 23 year old Natalie Keener (Anna Kendrick), who hooks the company up to the network, meaning that soon the company will fire people over a computer instead of in person.

There are some wonderful clips that show people reacting to being fired.

• These are so true that you can’t help but nod while watching them. That’s a plus.

Then there is Bingham’s growth. He comes face to face with the fact that he is a lonely man, with no one. One of his sister’s say he’s nothing to them because he’s never there. However, he saves the day for the other sister’s wedding. It’s good stuff.

Up in the Air has a shocking moment of ‘wow’ that really grabbed me towards the end. I was actually

feeling very positive about the movie until this ‘wow’ moment, which I won’t spoil. The problem is that after that, the movie basically ends, and in doing so, it becomes a very depressing motion picture. My heart just sank. There’s no other way of saying it — d-e-p-r-e-s-s-i-n-g.

I can’t recommend it because of this. If you like depressing, melancholy endings, then you’ll probably love it. If you like happy endings or endings where you have something to smile about, skip Up in the Air.

Up in the Air movie

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1110041054600130/k2311a0410/4.10.10