Ulta Mineral Powder Eyeshadow- Amethyst
  • I noticed that the oxides in the shadow are a dark purple/ brown the stuff responsible for sparkle is not
  • I decided to try again and instead of the brush use a foam applicator from another makeup set
  • I found this to be more accurate, but still had the same problem with little bits of silver sparkle travelling outside the area I had placed the shadow
  • I really depend on makeup to make it easy for me to make myself look good and unfortunately this amethyst eye shadow just doesn’t do that for me

• by Scarlet Hughes

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

This mineral eye shadow came to me as part of a Christmas gift set. It’s probably something I wouldn’t go out of my way to find an Ulta store to buy. The color name of amethyst makes me think of something that would be just perfect on me and my grayish blue eyes. Of course, that’s if we’re talking about the pressed powders I am used to.

I only got around to trying this product recently. The pigment inside looked almost brown in poor light of my bedroom, with a reddish purple tinge in the better light of my bathroom. It does get points for being fascinating to look at and I really wanted to like it.

I was hopeful that when I put it on it would turn out to be sort of a sophisticated

take on a purple shadow, with a little bit of sparkle. I picked up some color with the soft brush that came with the set, and carefully dusted off the excess into the lid. When I went to apply it to the crease in my lid, it kind of went everywhere including my cheeks.

I noticed that the oxides in the shadow are a dark purple/ brown the stuff responsible for sparkle is not. Also, the particles of sparkly stuff are noticeably bigger than the particles of pigment. So it kind of looked like I’d been playing with silver glitter makeup and had gotten it all over my face, like I’d never applied eye makeup before.

That kind of ruined the sophisticated look for me. I decided to try again and instead of the brush use ...

• a foam applicator from another makeup set. I found this to be more accurate, but still had the same problem with little bits of silver sparkle travelling outside the area I had placed the shadow.

I’ve looked at my eyes done up this way both indoors and in natural light. The color is not terrible on me, although it is truly more of a brown than a purple, which is pushing it with me because I really don’t like how brown shadow looks with my complexion. In a much lighter shade of a true purple like a pale lilac, I could see just dusting a small amount of this stuff all over my eyelids for some sparkle and calling it a day.

As it is, I can only see myself using this shadow to outline the

darkest part of my lid for contouring. As it’s a messy sort of shadow I can’t see being able to be precise enough to do that effectively and can’t be sure that it will stay put throughout the day even if I do. It does appear to be a makeup with quality ingredients.

Professional makeup artists may be able to work magic with this stuff. But, for personal use, I need something delivers good results regardless of the fact that I am not a professional makeup artist. I don’t have the time to fight with my makeup.

I really depend on makeup to make it easy for me to make myself look good and unfortunately this “amethyst” eye shadow just doesn’t do that for me.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 318041052800430/k2311a048/4.8.10