Body for Life 12 Week Program  » Health  »
2.5
  • I don’t mind shakes, but having one every two hours, or three times a day was neither convenient nor enjoyable
  • The fitness plan is really very interesting and far better laid out than the diet
  • The index is dependant on experience or ability to set the parameters
  • As I prefer to exercise at home and don’t have all the weight equipment, this fitness plan was a constant struggle and one I eventually replaced

• by Jude244

If you are interested in the Body for Life 12 week program, I tried it little over a year ago and came to a few conclusions. The Body for Life Program, much like many of the other diets and fitness plans that I have tried, falls into one of two categories. Usually the program is either a better diet, or a better fitness plan, so far I am hard pressed to find one that excels in both areas.

The Body for Life program is no different. Its fitness plan is well thought out; its diet however is more like an after thought or an attempt to sell Myoplex shakes; since you have to drink three of

them a day.

I don’t mind shakes, but having one every two hours, or three times a day was neither convenient nor enjoyable. The fact that the creator of the program, is also an owner of the company that produces the shakes, doesn’t escape me.

The diet allows you to eat 6 meals a day, 6 days a week, the seventh day is a free day. The times of the meals are spread out over the day but usually break down to every two to three hours. I’m not sure if this program realizes that people at work can’t drop everything to eat every few hours, but if you can; I hope you look forward to a lot of shakes.

The fitness plan is really very interesting and far better laid out than the diet. It is a six day a week plan that alternates between 20 minute aerobic sessions and 45 minute weight training sessions.

The Cardio routine allows you your choice of exercise such as walking or cycling, but asks that it be done first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. There is a fixed plan of intervals in intensity that happen in 1 to 2 minute increments or three sets over the twenty minute time frame. It takes a little time getting used to all the frequent changes, or at least it did ...

• Body for Life 12 Week Program
      for me.

Similarly, the upper and lower body weight training routines also have a fixed pattern intensity index. The index is dependant on experience or ability to set the parameters.

I am a relative light weight. My index level five intensity would be far lower than that of a seasoned weightlifter therefore I could use much lighter weights to achieve varying intensities. I would however have to keep increasing in weights to raise my intensity level and to achieve the intensities prescribed in the program.

If my memory serves me correctly, the breakdown was about 4 exercises with 5 sets of each. For each set the amount of weight increases while the number

of reps decrease until you reach the last set where the reps go up and you are at a mid weight point. For each of the four exercises you could add an additional set for that muscle group of a different exercise but do the maximum number of reps.

While I thought the fitness plan was interesting, it really required a gym membership to use a lot of the machines, or at the very least a ton of dumbbells, barbells, and a weight bench to do some of it at home.

As I prefer to exercise at home and don’t have all the weight equipment, this fitness plan was a constant struggle and one I eventually replaced.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 348041052440330/k2311a048/4.8.10