Kwando Safaris Tour Operator
Corner of Tshekotsheko Drive, Airport Avenue, Maun, Botswana
  • I was getting nowhere with another tour operator (Audi Camp) and I decided to just contact Kwando Safaris
  • However, what I appreciated the most about Kwando Safaris is that the company tries to inform the customer of the best deals in booking their safaris
  • I paid the booking and I had my vouchers in a matter of 2 days
  • The total cost for a 3 night safari was Pulas 42000 ($ 6000) or Pulas 10500 ($1500) per person
  • If money is not a problem, I highly recommend using KS or one of their affiliated operators

• by bethbarl

Sometimes, picking up the phone is the quickest way to reserve something rather than go through a series of email exchanges and waiting for responses to queries and requests. Such was my situation when I booked my safari for 4 people 1 1/2 months ago. I was getting nowhere with another tour operator (Audi Camp) and I decided to just contact Kwando Safaris.

Kwando Safaris is a Botswana based tour operator located in Maun. They run private camps in the Central Kalahari, Lebala, Lagoon, Little Kwara and Big Kwara just to name a few. These camps have at most between 5-10 tented or fixed chalets and are located in very remote and often, inaccessible areas.

After speaking to one of the reservations staff in Kwando (Ms. Moss), she was able to tell me directly that there was space for 4 people on the dates I wanted (01-04 April 2010) and that she could immediately confirm the booking. My husband also chirped in during that 30

minute call to ask if it’s possible to do day trips around the Central Kalahari Game Reserve which were Passarge Valley, Sunday Pan, Leopard Pan and of course, the famous Deception Valley. Moss agreed to all of these site visits and that was it.

I got an instant confirmation of the dates the same day as well as the payment modalities. However, what I appreciated the most about Kwando Safaris is that the company tries to inform the customer of the best deals in booking their safaris. KS works closely with some travel agencies in and outside of Botswana. It nearly goes without saying that these agencies are given deep discounts. I was informed that since my booking was done a month before departure time, then the rates would be higher.

Bookings made less than a month before departure date would be considered as late bookings and huge discounts are applied, sometimes nearly 40% off the rack rates. However, Moss explained that ...

• there is still a way to reduce the costs by taking on the reservations which was made by KS and letting a tour operator handle the issuance of vouchers and tickets. Other travel tour operators get discounted rates as well when booking 3 nights or more in their Camps. For this, I informed them that Adventure Safaris would be my preferred operator.

Adventure Safaris just took over the “Moss reservation” as it is reflected on the voucher and everything ran like clockwork from this moment on. I paid the booking and I had my vouchers in a matter of 2 days. And, I saved some money in the process by at least $ 500. Of course, the main advantage was vouchers could be issued immediately as payment can de done whilst in Gaborone as KS is based in Maun.

The total cost for a 3 night safari was Pulas 42000 ($ 6000) or Pulas 10500 ($1500) per person. Children pay the same

rates as adults. This rate includes all meals, drinks, game drives, laundry, private vehicle (you don’t share it with other guests) and light aircraft transfers on Moremi Air ($1440 for a return trip for 4 people) which is a sister company of KS.

All in all, I am extremely pleased with how swiftly my reservations were handled and treated with the outmost professionalism and even ethical standards. They were confirmed and guaranteed very quickly. If money is not a problem, I highly recommend using KS or one of their affiliated operators. Their website is also easy to use. If you are in BW, you can call this number 686 1449 for assistance. They are very professional and would not only look at how much money they could make. They care about their customers and I am sure this aspect is what makes them stand as a safari tour operator. It’s not only all about them but their clients as well.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 388041052210330/k2311a048/4.8.10