Sport Helicopter Ride of Cape Town (CivAir Helicopters)
Quay 5, V & A Waterfront, Cape Town South Africa
  • That’s definitely not my cup of tea and I opted for the scenic flight which is more docile and kinder on the stomach
  • There is even a machine where you can get soda or water and for me this was essential as I know I would be feeling queasy during the flight
  • I believe this ride was well worth it as we got a good overview of Cape Town in half an hour (Table Mountain, the coastline and even the hotel we were staying in were quickly pinpointed)
  • Never mind the cost, it’s something we do once in a lifetime

• by bethbarl

If you are in a hurry and would like to cover as much sights as possible in the Cape Town area, a good suggestion would be to take a helicopter ride. I took one for the first time in my life with the rest of my family end of 2007. Again, it was upon my husband’s insistence that I take the ride with them always pulling the same line that if the chopper goes down, then we are all in it. This was the same line he used when I refused to take the ferry ride with them to Robben Island.

To book one

of these scenic heli rides, we simply had to walk to the V&A Waterfront which seems to be the center of all activities in Cape Town. The booking office is quite small and very simple. But, the system works great. You choose your tour (there are different ones from 20 minutes, 30 minutes, 60 minutes), pay for it and take the ride. They offer other types of tours as well but my husband was more into the scenic flight.

For the more adventurous, the company has also a sister company (Huey helicopters) which can organize helicopter flip rides. That’s definitely not my cup

of tea and I opted for the scenic flight which is more docile and kinder on the stomach. My husband chose a scenic flight for half an hour which costs R 1000 per person irregardless of whether it is an adult or not. So, we paid nearly € 400 for the whole flight.

Once the fees are paid, there is a golf cart which takes you to the helipad a mere 5-10 minutes drive. The helipad has a waiting room with clean restrooms (I certainly needed to go several times as I was very nervous to take the ride; could not ...

• Sport Helicopter Ride of Cape Town (CivAir Helicopters)
      wait for it to be over). There is even a machine where you can get soda or water and for me this was essential as I know I would be feeling queasy during the flight.

The lady who attended to us seemed very organized and recited standard safety precautions. She particularly stressed the need to watch out for the propellers when boarding and disembarking if the engine has been switched on already by the pilot.

were staying in were quickly pinpointed). The pilot also seemed very competent as the ride was a smooth one although I must admit the weather was also on our side (not a lot of clouds).

Altogether, an experience worth recounting. The scenic ride was well organized from booking, boarding, disembarking and the whole flight itself. The pilot is very capable and he was also pointing out areas of interest where we had no clue at all (like pointing out the CT house of Elton John, the Football stadium for the 2010 World Cup, as examples). Never mind the cost, it’s something we do once in a lifetime.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 388041052200330/k2311a048/4.8.10