Banquet Homestyle Bakes Lasagna (meal in a box)
  • I enjoyed the fact that it didn’t taste like it came out of a box despite the appearance of the finished product
  • While I wouldn’t recommend bringing this to an Italian family get together, I do recommend serving it in your home as a quick and easy meal idea to buy you and your family some extra time together and with the price (about $3.00 per box) a little extra spending cash as well

• by CRMartin

Coming from an Italian family the words “lasagna meal in a box” is blasphemy; however in this day and time not all of us have hours to spend in the kitchen making an authentic Italian lasagna dinner. Limited time as well as strapped wallets forces us to find other ways to get that home cooked flavor without sacrificing precious time with our families or our bank accounts. This is why I tried the Banquet Homestyle Bakes Lasagna Complete Meal in a Box.

Inside of the box are 2 cans of Lasagna sauce with meat, 1 pouch of curly pasta, and 1 pouch of cheesy topping. The only ingredient that you have to add is either one half or three quarter cups of hot water

(the amount of water depends on what size of bake dish you use in the oven or whether you cook it on the stove top.

) I didn’t care for the meat sauce because it was more like a meat soup. Granted it did thicken a little when the finished product cooled for about 5 minutes (I chose to prepare mine on the stove top) however, it was still a thinner consistency then a can of Chef Boyardee lasagna.

The curly pasta was expected from the picture on the outside of the box, so anyone buying this cannot say that they thought they were going to get solid pieces of traditional looking lasagna, and if they did then forgive me for giggling. The cheese topping ...

• made of mozzarella and “other natural cheeses.

” was a delicious addition to the meal after it melted on top of the pasta. The entire meal was completely prepared in 20 minutes.

This includes the time it took for it to cool so that the sauce would thicken (5 minutes. ) The convenience of that in comparison with the hour and a half it would have taken me to make a homemade traditional meal made up for the “meat soup” consistency.

When it came to the real test, getting my family of 3 (including my picky 6 year old daughter) to eat it the Banquet Homestyle Bakes Lasagna passed with flying colors! Not only were the plates emptied of every trace of bread, salad, and lasagna,

but seconds were asked for and finished as well. Since each box contains “4-5 servings” I was only too happy to oblige and was satisfied knowing that my family was going to have full bellies and I didn’t have to spend all night in the kitchen.

I enjoyed the fact that it didn’t taste like it came out of a box despite the appearance of the finished product. While I wouldn’t recommend bringing this to an Italian family get together, I do recommend serving it in your home as a quick and easy meal idea to buy you and your family some extra time together and with the price (about $3 per box) a little extra spending cash as well.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 277041051080730/k2311a047/4.7.10