Ray Alexander: A Menu for Murder movie  » Movies  »

• by Orrymain

Ray Alexander: A Menu for Murder was the second movie made with these characters. As a sleuthing private eye concept, it really wasn’t bad. I saw that because like the first movie, I didn’t have the urge to change the channel. It was an okay backdrop to other things I was doing.

At the same time, A Menu for Murder wasn’t a thriller that kept me spellbound or enticed into focusing it along. I was interested, but not captivated

by any part of the two hours that it took to tell the story.

Louis Gossett Jr. plays the lead role of Ray Alexander, a man who loves his restaurant and still works on occasion as a private eye for Jeffrey Winslow, the attorney who helped him beat a bum rap once. Winslow is again played by James Coburn. He’s not in as much of the movie as Gossett, but he pops up here and there.

Tracy Nelson, Tony Colitti, and ...

• Ossie Davis all return in this second Ray Alexander outing as well. Nelson is the cute paralegal who loves to go sleuthing when she can. She’s not in the movie enough. They needed her to balance out the male detectives.

Beverly Johnson guest stars in a bit of a seductive role for Gossett, though his character is attached to that of Lynne Moody’s, who I much prefer him with.

There’s also a strong appearance by Sam J. Jones, though when I

see him now I tend to think of Aris Boch of Stargate SG-1.

I guess it’s the mix of actors, all of whom are very good, that makes it work. I want to watch them, and the plot is reasonable. It just likes that punch, the wow factor that would put it over the top.

One more note, the first movie had Ray Charles singing at the end. This movie had Johnny Mathis. I’d just love to see who would have been next.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 116041050250830/k2311a046/4.6.10