Sony’s Sixaxis Controller for the PlayStation 3
  • Now for some, like me, this isn’t even really a problem

• by Shintai

The Sixaxis controller is the first controller intended for use of the PlayStation 3. Later the Dual Shock 3 was released and it is now the standard controller intended for the PlayStation 3, but beforehand it was the Sixaxis. Now both controllers are very similar to each other many ways, but there are still some key differences with each other.

The first and most noticeable different from this controller and the Dual Shock 3 controller is that this controller is far lighter. When you hold this controller in your hands, it feels very light weight and almost cheap, but it’s actually very well built despite how It feels in your hands. This lightness is a subjectively good or bad thing. I personally did mind it. Well at first I was a bit uncertain about

it, because it felt like the controller was really cheap and was going to break, but after using it for countless hours of gameplay, it worked just fine. In fact, my cousin even dropped the controller numerous times due to my cousin’s clumsiness, and despite how many times he dropped it on the hard floor, (since there are no rugs in my house) you would think the controller would have broken at some point, but the functionality of the controller has been and still is flawless.

The next difference between the Dual Shock 3 is the rumble functionality. While the Dual Shock 3 has the rumble function, which allows the controller to vibrate under certain circumstances during different games, is absent in the Sixaxis controller. The fact that this controller lacks this function is ...

• most likely the reason why the controller, as I previously mentioned, is so light. Without the extra hardware inside the controller, this controller is much lighter, however that means it doesn’t vibrate. Now for some, like me, this isn’t even really a problem. I never really cared about the rumble in controllers as I never bothered to pay attention when my controller was vibrating or not unless I was in a cut scene or something, otherwise I wouldn’t even notice.

Now, to get into the actual controller itself, besides the differences from the Dual Shock 3 that I previously mentioned, this controller is exactly the same. It has the same amount of buttons, and it also utilizes the tilt motion technology that can be used in certain PlayStation 3 games like Folklore, Flow, and

Resistance: Fall of Man, and others.

Now, you can most likely find this controller at a cheaper price compared to the Dual Shock 3. If you’re hurting for cash, and don’t really want to spend the extra money on a heavier version of the same controller with a rumble feature, I say go for it. Overall, I give this controller an 8 out of a 10. It’s a solid controller and it goes without saying that if you liked any of Sony’s other controllers, you’ll most likely like this one as well as long as you don’t mind sacrificing the rumble feature. Still since it doesn’t have the rumble feature, and the lightness of the controller can put some people off, it gets kicked down a few notches, but it’s still a great controller.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 164041048460830/k2311a044/4.4.10