Mazdaspeed MX-5
  • Mine was Velocity Red, and after a fresh wash/wax, the paint looked amazing, like there were silver specks infused into the paint
  • I would have kept the car if I lived in an area where I know it'll never/rarely snow or I had access to mass transit, but because I don't, I traded her in
  • If you are looking for a cheap yet quick weekend car, or are in the market for a 2-seat convertible, or just want to drive a fun car to ease your commute, I highly recommend the Mazdaspeed MX-5

• by Jay Kay

The Mazdaspeed MX-5 is Mazda’s in-house tuner version of the Mazda Miata LS. It adds Bilstein shocks, lightweight Rays 17″ wheels, an air-cooled turbocharger, some aero body parts, front crossbar brace, close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission, LSD, etc. Basically, it’s a (much) faster and better-handling Miata. Mine was Velocity Red, and after a fresh wash/wax, the paint looked amazing, like there were silver specks infused into the paint.

Pros: quick, fun to drive, no spooky handling, looked great,

top took less than 15 seconds to raise/lower manually, comfortable cabin, 6-disc Bose stereo.

Cons: needed an aftermarket intake to replace shoddy factory unit (but the car picked up 20 hp and sounded GREAT, you can easily hear the intake, turbo, and BPV), geared WAY too short (70 mph in 6th gear, the engine was spinning at 3500 rpm; I could easily spin the tires starting in SECOND on a rainy day), averaged 24 mpg (I’m sure the ...

• short gearing had a lot to do with it), small trunk.

Overall, I enjoyed the car. It was great for top-down cruising, it sounded amazing after I added the aftermarket full intake kit, (fun to “scare” unsuspecting motorists with a PSSSHHH from the BPV), it was easy to park, and it was reliable. However, the gas mileage was disappointing, I expected better out of a 1.8L (turbocharged or not), and the weather this past winter convinced me that

it was time to let her go. I would have kept the car if I lived in an area where I know it’ll never/rarely snow or I had access to mass transit, but because I don’t, I traded her in.

If you are looking for a cheap yet quick weekend car, or are in the market for a 2-seat convertible, or just want to drive a fun car to ease your commute, I highly recommend the Mazdaspeed MX-5!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 92041045770830/k2311a042/4.2.10