Rombauer Vineyards Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2006  » Food  »
  • I don't consider myself a professional when it comes to evaluating wine
  • However, I do live in California and I have I think been exposed wine tastings and enjoyed different wines over the last ten years
  • Some of the wines they have at my local Safeway are as high as 15 percent now, and very few are under 14.5- way too high in my opinion
  • From personal experience I'm quite sure this wine has mellowed considerably in the years since it was bottled
  • I like that I can smell and taste the fruit

• by Scarlet Hughes

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

I don’t consider myself a professional when it comes to evaluating wine. However, I do live in California and I have I think been exposed wine tastings and enjoyed different wines over the last ten years. I do think my palette has developed in that time.

My boyfriend brought this wine home. At 42 dollars, the price is outside of my comfort zone so this was a rare treat. I didn’t really take the time to evaluate this wine because it was late and I hadn’t really been expecting to be drinking wine at all. So, I took more time to taste it the next day.

I have come to learn that about half the enjoyment of wine for me is the smell. The smell is ruined for me if the alcohol is too high, and I have heard others complain about this as well. Some of the wines they have at my local Safeway are

as high as 15 percent now, and very few are under 14.5- way too high in my opinion. At that point they become more like liquers than wines. I have found that without fail, a high level of alcohol gives wine a medicinal smell and taste, like something you’d put on a cut. Luckily, this wine is just over 14 percent, although I would’ve preferred even lower.

This wine has a gorgeous ruby red color and is very clear. It’s not crucial to me that a wine look like this, but it is beautiful to look at and I appreciate that aspect of wine drinking too, because it helps me to slow down and really enjoy it rather than just gulp it down. When I swirl and tilt it, it looks like stained glass. It has nice legs, that is, the streaks that run down the sides of the glass. again, I’m not an expert ...

• but I understand this has something to do with the proper development of the sugars.

There is that slightly medicinal smell at the first whiff. However, just underneath that is a lovely chocolate smell, with raspberry or cherry and maybe a little mint. From personal experience I’m quite sure this wine has mellowed considerably in the years since it was bottled. I think that it justifies the price, as I am not confident in my ability to cellar my own wine or patient enough to wait for it to mellow to my liking. Now, because of my limited budget, I usually only get to try newer vintages. I usually don’t bother with California cabs at all because they come on so strong at first. I know this because I used to have a friend who drank cabs exclusively, and liked them that way. To me, they were always tannic as hell and almost impossible for

me to really sip slowly and enjoy, especially with food.

This wine has a pretty velvety finish, i.e. it doesn’t turn the inside of my mouth inside out. I know tannins are an important part of the structure of red wines- I just prefer not to taste them quite so much. I like that I can smell and taste the fruit. Again, I suspect the tannins in this winde have softened considerably since 2006. I would be curious to compare it to a newer vintage.

I don’t know when I will try this wine again, unless the boyfriend brings it home. If he does, I will be very appreciative, because finding a nice balanced wine at any price is becoming challenging for me these days. I hope to try with food next time. Something simple, like a nice steak dinner would be lovely I think.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 271041045230830/k2311a041/4.1.10