Party of One: The Loners’ Manifesto - Anneli Rufus  » Books  »
  • Party of One was referenced as a kind of gospel for those of us who prefer solitude to crowds, so I thought I should check it out

• by RachelR

I stumbled across this book (published by Da Capo Press), when it was mentioned in a newspaper article by someone who had gone to live in a remote part of France, far away from neighbours and chance intruders. “Party of One” was referenced as a kind of gospel for those of us who prefer solitude to crowds, so I thought I should check

it out.

“Party of One” isn’t a self-help book. Instead, it provides an overview of society from a loner’s perspective. Anneli Rufus is someone who confidently wears the identity of “loner”. She isn’t afraid to track her own path through a world that often prizes sociability above all other skills and aptitudes.

Many loners aren’t so sure of themselves, having been branded misfits because they don’t crave other people’s company, the implication being that there must be something wrong with them.

Anneli Rufus’s self-assurance means she is clear-sighted, raising many thought-provoking points about the way the world works. Rufus doesn’t pretend to be a psychologist of any kind. Hers is simply a voice speaking up for an often-overlooked minority.

• Party of One: The Loners' Manifesto - Anneli Rufus

Her observations about how the world works chime true with me, because I’ve always suspected I was something of a loner, though never felt confident enough with the idea to acknowledge it fully or publicly. But I’m not at the extreme end of the spectrum, so some of what she said gave me valuable insight into others whose need for solitude is even

greater than mine.

Because of the subject matter, it’s probably a book that will only ever be read by loners or closet-loners, those who feel the need to justify their behaviour. That’s a shame, because it’s so much more than someone impassioned letting off steam. It provides a view from the other side, something human beings are often not very good at appreciating.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171041044000630/k2311a041/4.1.10