Dean Martin
  • It was one of the best things on television
  • I like Dean Martin because he was talented

• by Orrymain

I grew up watching Dean Martin on television and at the movies. My family watched his musical variety show every week. It was one of the best things on television. I loved how he slid down the fire pole every week to start things off. Mostly, I loved the spontaneity of his show. Like Carol Burnett, goofs were often left in, and that made for remarkable humorous episodes.

Part of this was because Dean had a contract that said he only worked one day a week. He hated to rehearse. I suspect Frank Sinatra’s Rat Pack persona rubbed off on him because the Rat Pack films like Ocean’s Eleven and Robin and the Seven Hoods were notorious for shooting quickly with little rehearsal.

Martin had a lively and charming demeanor. His

smile was huge. I always remember his rosy cheeks. He made a big deal out of drinking, but people swear that was all an act that made up his public persona.

Two things are notable to me about Dean Martin’s personal life. He was married for years to his wife, Jeanne. They divorced and he married some younger chick. It was so ridiculous. However, that union didn’t last long, and Martin fairly quickly returned to Jeanne. They lived together for the rest of Dean’s life, even though they never remarried.

Dean Martin adored his children and when his namesake, Dino, died in a tragic accident, he just never recovered emotionally. I’ve read a lot about how he changed after that.

That said, one of the moments I’ll remember the most is when ...

• he reunited with his original comedy partner, Jerry Lewis. The two hit the highs together when they had a falling out. Even though both had the same friends, they stopped speaking to each other. It was a huge feud. One year on the Jerry Lewis Muscular Dystrophy Telethon, Frank Sinatra somehow convinced Martin to surprise Lewis. That took guts on Martin’s part. He had no way of knowing how Lewis would react.

It tears me up to even think about it now. It was a genuinely warm and very real moment for the two men, and it did reunite them. They kept in touch for the rest of Dean’s life.

Dean Martin was a good actor. I loved him in Bandolero, a movie I saw in the theaters numerous times as

a kid. Rio Bravo is still one of my favorite pictures, and he was in that. Bells Are Ringing, The Sons of Katie Elder, and What a Way to Go are other favorite films with Martin in them.

I like Dean Martin because he was talented. His voice was like silk, smooth and very romantic. His acting worked for me. He was a romantic lead and a good sidekick. He may have fallen off the marriage bandwagon in some mid-life crisis, but he got his act together, and Martin loved his family. He had life long friends, and life long fans. I’m not saying he was in my very top performers, but he had my attention, and he entertained me.

Everybody loves somebody sometime, and I had my lovely Dean moments, too.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5230031042191031/k2311a0330/3.30.10