Fame (2009) movie  » Movies  »
  • However, overall, I like this movie better than the original movie only because it's more upbeat, and the original had more sensitive intensive scenes that aren't my style
  • I'm glad I saw it, and I would recommend it

• by Orrymain

Recently, I watched the 2009 remake of the innovative film, Fame, which spawned a hit TV series. I wasn’t sure how I’d react to it. I liked the original movie, and I adored the series, so this movie had a lot to live up to.

The first thing to grab me was the divorce audition by Jenny, which really touched me; it’s so real and so many can identify with that. I felt the sincerity of the oration. It stirred emotion, which is what a good audition is designed to do.

After the auditions, we get to see Debbie Allen, who was in the original movie and starred in the series. In this movie, she’s the principal and she still gets to make a dramatic speech, much like her ‘Fame costs’ speech that opened the series every week.

This one isn’t quite as good, but it does have some punch to it. Allen shows up again for the Senior Year.

>From the Freshman year, I love this line — “Understand people and you’ll begin to understand yourself.” It’s part of the drama class for the acting students. Charles S. Dutton is the instructor, and he’s really very good. I love the assignments. He gets you to think.

I do have a criticism of Sophomore year, and that is that when Malik is doing an oration in drama class, he gets very upset and storms out of the class. It’s just that his anger comes out of nowhere. There’s no setup for the explosion or why he’d be so upset at the class. It wasn’t handled well.

I do love the honoring of the original movie and ...

• the inclusion of the song, “Out Here on My Own.” The character of Denise sings it, and she’s great.

I also enjoy the blossoming romance between Jenny and Marco that has been slowly developing throughout the story.

As for the Junior Year, I really wasn’t fond of the Karoake night. Megan Mullally, who plays the vocal instructor, is a strong singer, but it felt so self-serving for her character. I just didn’t like that part of it. I’m not sure why it felt so off to me, especially because Allen performed on the series all the time, but maybe it’s because it didn’t really feel connected to the story somehow.

This is the year, too, that the students start branching out a little and getting into dangerous territory, personally and professionally.

The Senior Year is full of dramatic pain and joy.

Dreams are crushed and met, and we get the graduation celebration. I really didn’t like the new version of the song, “Fame.” It was sung over the end credits and didn’t really get its due like it did with the original.

I feel that there were shortcomings in how the Senior Year was handled at the end. However, overall, I like this movie better than the original movie only because it’s more upbeat, and the original had more sensitive intensive scenes that aren’t my style. This one is more family appropriate. The characters in the new movie aren’t the same as those in the first movie, either. You can make a few comparisons, but they are different.

I’m glad I saw it, and I would recommend it. Kay Panabaker as Jenny and Naturi Naughton were the standouts.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1130031042111031/k2311a0330/3.30.10