Star Trek 2009 movie
  • Then I enjoyed most of the series spin offs that followed
  • I don't like everything about the Jim Kirk of the universe, but it was okay

• by Orrymain

Here’s the deal. I am a devout lover of the original Star Trek TV series. I loved the movies that followed. Then I enjoyed most of the series spin offs that followed; not all, but most. Then in 2009, along came this new Star Trek, creating conflict and dissension among the fans. The only thing that saved it for me, maybe, was when I heard that it was an AU (alternate universe) story. Having seen what AU stories can be, thanks to Stargate SG-1, this seemed a possible rationale for the new movie.

So, I

finally had a chance to see Star Trek, the 2009 movie, and you know what? I loved it. They tell us right off the bat that this is an AU story. When we see and hear the reference to Ambassador Spock, it’s obvious. They also had just a hint of the original theme music in the beginning. They gave it the feel of home. Thus, I was ‘in’ from the beginning. I knew that what I was seeing was ‘a’ Jim Kirk, et.al., not ‘my’ Jim Kirk. There’s a difference, and it’s ...

• referred to several times in this picture.

Star Trek 2009 does not attempt to be this universe’s Star Trek, and that’s why it works. I don’t like everything about the Jim Kirk of the universe, but it was okay. He wasn’t ‘my’ Jim. On the other hand, I really loved some of the twists to the Spock and Uhura characters. It was way cool. I didn’t love Chekov, but I adored McCoy.

I just really thought it was a great way to bring back these beloved characters. If you can let go of our universe for

a couple of hours, this is a great way to continue the Star Trek legend. I understand there’s a sequel in the works, and that meets with my approval.

Overall, this movie had drama, humor, action, special effects, and poignancy. Leonard Nimoy’s appearance was fantastic and in keeping with the history of ‘our’ universe. There’s no conflict. He actually keeps ‘our’ universe alive through his appearance in this movie. He gets to do the much loved ‘Space, the final frontier’ voiceover at the end, too.

Who would have thunk it? I’m a fan of Star Trek 2009.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1130031042101031/k2311a0330/3.30.10