American Water Distillers  » Housewares  »
1.0
  • I moved it to the basement, and the heat wasn't as much of a problem

• by psucarrierae

So I was really disturbed about all of the chemicals that are regularly found in tap water and not crazy about the taste, so I went ahead and bought an American Water Distiller. It was the cheapest on the market for a distiller, costing me roughly 180 dollars, including shipping. It came with a glass container, so I was initially really happy with the product, not having to worry about plastics leaching chemicals into my newly distilled clean water.

It came with ridiculous set of instructions that were obviously (poorly) translated from another language, although the company is supposedly American. No matter; set up was easy enough.

For the first couple

of months the distiller worked well. It took about four hours to make a gallon, and the only real complaint I had concerned the amount of heat the thing gave off, especially since it was early summer.

I moved it to the basement, and the heat wasn’t as much of a problem. The toxic-looking sludge that was left at the bottom of the container was incredible.

All sorts of colors and odors were left behind; truly a disgusting experience to rinse out. I was SO thankful that myself and my family were no longer drinking from the tap unfiltered! Around the second month the water stopped tasting as good.

I changed the ...

• filter, thinking that perhaps we had just run it so much that the filter stopped working early. The instructions didn’t indicate how long the filter should last, but the web site said it should last roughly six months.

Even after the filter change, the water didn’t taste right. After about three more gallons had been distilled, it started to taste AWFUL, as if we were licking pennies or something.

I tried scrubbing the unit, using the included detergent, and later, my own dish detergent. I tried running the machine with the detergent in it, per the instructions, but the fumes were so bad I had to turn it off halfway through.

I

tried running the water through more than once; nothing seemed to work. I eventually had to toss it out.

Am I upset that I spent 180 bucks on two months worth of clean water? You betcha! Would I recommend this brand to a friend? Absolutely not! Vapor distilling and filtering your water is very important nowadays, especially with new reports coming out that find, on average, over 200 different chemicals in our tap water. Finding a good machine is important, too, but this one just isn’t it.

Take my advice; don’t fall for the cheap price tag. Pay just a little more for another brand that won’t leave you tasting metal after two months.

American Water Distillers

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5330031041951031/k2311a0330/3.30.10