The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast: Gabe Kaplan TV Show  » TV  »
  • This is the first time I noticed Billy Crystal on the dais, but that doesn't mean this was his premier on the show

• by Orrymain

The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast: Gabe Kaplan was another one of the famous roast shows that Martin’s variety show evolved into for a while. Kaplan, of the series Welcome Back Kotter, was the Man of the Hour before the usual Las Vegas audience. I’m not a big Kaplan fan, but Kotter

was a good show, and I’ve actually seen a movie of his that I liked a lot.

This is the first time I noticed Billy Crystal on the dais, but that doesn’t mean this was his premier on the show. I’m not sure of the order, but it’s the first time I’ve seen ...

• him on the ones I’ve rerun.

I got a kick out of Johnny Bench. He was a phenomenal player for the Cincinnati Reds, and he toyed with a music and acting career for a time. I actually liked his singing voice. There’s no singing here, but he did have a natural

delivery with his zingers to Kaplan.

Kaplan, being a comic, had several minutes on air to do his comeback retorts. Some honorees don’t get as much time as he had. He was okay, but I’ve heard funnier ‘backatchas’ than what he delivered in his five minutes and counting.

Overall, this was an okay hour.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1030031041460931/k2311a0330/3.30.10