The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast: George Burns TV Show  » TV  »
  • When Gene Kelly stood and did his routine, Burns got up and sang one of his little ditties that were always so funny

• by Orrymain

The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast presented a 90-minute roast of the legendary George Burns. Filmed in Las Vegas, there were a lot of comics on the dais, which isn’t surprising.

What made this fun is that Burns was in control the whole way. When Gene Kelly stood and did his routine, Burns got up and sang one of his little ditties that were always so funny. Right after that, Kelly silenced the house with a sweet

and beautiful verse of Our Love is Here to Stay. You could hear a pin drop. It was elegance, and then it led to more humor.

Jimmy Stewart told a funny dance story, and then he was followed by one long joke, a parade of comics, many of whom didn’t belong. Out of place as always, LaWanda Page did her routine with attitude (why NBC felt they had to include this excess comedians I’ll never know).

• Dom Deluise’s bit was as a character and not himself. I really am not very fond of these segments that grew as the roasts developed. The outrageously dressed Phyllis Diller told some jokes of her own all about the crush she has on him, and she was followed by Red Buttons, practically a regular on these things. I yawned until Jack Carter came on. He had more good jokes than the others combined,
        and I’m not a big Jack Carter fan, so that surprised me a little.

The last half hour included Ronald Reagan, who was at his best in this element. I’ve said before that I never liked Reagan as a politician, but he’s a natural in show business. I like him on this type of show.

Overall, I didn’t enjoy this roast as much as I have some others, but I still prefer this comedy over what is out there today.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1030031041380931/k2311a0330/3.30.10