The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast: Joe Namath (#2) TV Show  » TV  »
  • I was happy to see that there were at least a couple of football players (turned actors) there, while many of the actual stars had no relation to Namath
  • That wasn't in play during the taping of this roast, but it's what I think of it often when I think about the former Jet quarterback
  • I'd say the last 20 minutes was the best of the hour

• by Orrymain

On this evening, Joe Namath was the Man of the Hour being roasted in The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast. Namath was one of four people who were roasted twice during these events. This was his second time in the hot seat. As often was the case, the dais was in viva Las Vegas. I was happy to see that there were at least a couple of football players (turned actors) there, while many of the actual stars had

no relation to Namath.

I have always liked Namath. He grew up a lot over the years, unlike some other folks who remained playboys for life. Not only that, but he took acting seriously, and while not an award winner, he worked to be taken seriously and did a lot of stage production. That wasn’t in play during the taping of this roast, but it’s what I think of it often when I think about the former Jet quarterback.

Bruce Jenner ...

• had his moment in the sun as he roasted Joe. Basically, he complained about not having a nickname and how he worked for 12 years to work one week in the Olympics, while Joe worked one week for a career that lasted 12 years. I’m not a fan of Jenner, and all you have to do is turn on TV to see how far he’s gotten.

I thought a lot of the roasting was flat. It wasn’t as funny as

some of the other roasts have been, and I suspect that’s because so many of the guests were just doing abbreviated stand up routines. The only real zing was from Angie Dickinson, who did a suggestive dating monologue that was cute in a way. George Blanda managed to do his bit with humor, too. He was much better than Dick Butkus, and that surprised me.

Namath’s ending speech was okay. I’d say the last 20 minutes was the best of the hour.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1030031041360931/k2311a0330/3.30.10