The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast: Frank Sinatra TV Show  » TV  »
  • It got even better when he sang a duet with Sinatra on “Bye Bye Blackbird” It was the best part of the entire event

• by Orrymain

From 1978, The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast honors Frank Sinatra. Once again, it was filmed in Las Vegas. In this lengthy roast, I would have liked to have a few others I associate with Sinatra present, but as often happened, there was a slew of NBC-dictated comics that had no business being there. I must sound like a broken record, if you’ve read my other roast reviews, but I can’t tell you enough how much this bugged me when these shows

aired originally, and watching them again now, I still get angry about it.

Ruth Buzzi had a lot of guts hitting Sinatra with her purse, and what on earth does LaWanda Page have to do with Ole Blue Eyes? Ridiculous!

Now that my rant is over, I’ll try to concentrate on the highlights that were positive in this roast, one of which is that the spot next to Sinatra was a logical choice (it doesn’t always turn out that way). It was Gene Kelly ...

• who sat in that seat.

One of the high points for me was Peter Falk showing up in the audience, dressed in his Lt. Columbo outfit. He was so funny. I was laughing so loud when he got Sinatra to give him an autograph. It got even better when he sang a duet with Sinatra on “Bye Bye Blackbird” It was the best part of the entire event. Falk was never funnier.

Ernest Borgnine was there in his “From Here to

Eternity” which was different and had its humorous moments.

Rich Little started out by joking that his entire act was alive and well in front of his eyes and then proceeded to imitate some of them. In his heyday, Little was the best there was. It’s a shame his life took a southern turn that wasn’t the best.

This one wasn’t as wonderful as I would have liked, but it was a great collection of stars from yesteryear, and it’s worth it, just for Peter Falk.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1030031041340931/k2311a0330/3.30.10