The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast: Sammy Davis Jr. TV Show  » TV  »
  • Unfortunately, it wasn't as good as it could have been
  • He dished it out on the attack, but everyone knew and understood it was humor of the best kind

• by Orrymain

The Man of the Hour was Sammy Davis Jr. on this Las Vegas taped edition of The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast. Unfortunately, it wasn’t as good as it could have been. I am a huge fan of Sammy’s. I loved his acting, his singing, and his extravagance which made up his image, mainly because he really was a nice man.

The dais, however, was a really strange

assortment of characters, and I’m not sure how many of them really were friends or had a decent connection to Sammy. It just didn’t make sense to me, and that’s a pet peeve I have about some of the roasts. Funny as they were, there were often celebrities that had no tie in to the person being honored.

Freddie Prinze had the seat next to Sammy, which is ...

• usually reserved for the person closest to the roasted entertainer. I adored Freddie, but I’m not sure why he had that spot. I am glad that I now have his routine in my collection. He did some of the classic stuff that made him successful, and this was early in his career when he did this.

Don Rickles did his usual routine, which I find funnier than

Seinfeld, Tim Allen, George Lopez, Ray Romano, or any other of today’s so-called comics. He dished it out on the attack, but everyone knew and understood it was humor of the best kind.

I really wish there had been more of the Rat Pack, for example. What we got were fringes, like Joey Bishop and Norm Crosby. Still, it was Sammy, and he’s worth watching at any time.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1030031041320931/k2311a0330/3.30.10