The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast: Telly Savalas TV Show  » TV  »
  • I'm always disappointed when the dais doesn't have that personal touch
  • The best moment here was when Martin interjected that he had no idea what Cosell was saying
  • I enjoy seeing him on these shows, and he did a respectable job
  • I like Ernie, so I can't complain too much

• by Orrymain

Kojak himself, Telly Savalas, was roasted by a dais of entertainers on this outing of The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast, which was filmed in Las Vegas. The Man of the Hour took his seat while being honored, zinger style, by those on the dais. Now those on the roasting panel didn’t have much of a connection to Savalas from my point of view. It was mostly the regular rotating group of roasters for this show and a few fellow TV detectives. I’m always disappointed when

the dais doesn’t have that personal touch.

Phyllis Diller was okay in her opening bit. Howard Cosell was up next and picked on Alex Karras before focusing on Savalas to pay his “disrespects” as he called it. The best moment here was when Martin interjected that he had no idea what Cosell was saying. This little bit provided a couple of laughs over the next minute or so.

George Kennedy was the next to take center stage. I enjoy seeing him on these shows, and he did ...

• a respectable job. A bit later Peter Graves took a turn at the podium and re-used an old joke. I guess that’s something that a lot of folks do and had I not been watching so many of these roasts over a short period, maybe I wouldn’t have noticed.

However, Graves wasn’t the only repeat joke offender. A bit later, Ernest Borgnine did the same thing. I like Ernie, so I can’t complain too much.

The absolute highlight of the night was a bit that Rowan and

Martin did in trench coats. It was a riot, especially when Dean Martin joined them in his own trench coat. They ended up singing “I Remember It All.” This was all scripted, but it was just a delight to watch, and I was rolling with laughter.

Shelley Winters, Rich Little, Angie Dickinson, Robert Stack, and Don Rickles were some of the other celebrities who tried to zing Savalas before he stood and got his retaliation.

The Rowan and Martin bit was the highlight and makes this roast a must.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1030031040870831/k2311a0330/3.30.10