Kojak: Flowers for Matty movie  » Movies  »
  • Glynnis O'Connor really bugged me in her role of Molly, but I don't think it was her as much as it was the role
  • So, while I believe the script was sub-par and the acting questionable, there was enough story there to keep me from start to finish

• by Orrymain

I rarely watched Kojak when it was a regular series on CBS. I’m not intrigued by Telly Savalas, who played the role, and I wasn’t a particular fan of the detective, either. I did find myself somewhat into this 1990 post-series movie. Kojak: Flowers for Matty dealt with two issues, art gallery thefts and the murder of a detective on the verge of retirement.

Barbara Barrie played the widow and I was underwhelmed, particularly in the scene where she

was told about her husband’s death. Actually, it wasn’t just Barrie, but Savalas and the writing. Kojak was a friend of this man’s and his first words to the widow are a curt introduction of the clergyman to his right. He sounded cold, not like a friend.

I didn’t like this scene or the one it transitioned into because it was poorly acted and scripted. There wasn’t any warmth to it and Savalas sounded like he was delivering ...

• cookie cutter lines.

I did like the small role of a thud played by Kario Salem. Salem is actually quite good as an actor. He did a good job here. In an even smaller role at the very beginning, I just loved seeing Kitty Carlisle. I’m so used to her as a panelist that I forget she was a successful actress.

Glynnis O’Connor really bugged me in her role of Molly, but I don’t think it was her as

much as it was the role. Her character came off like a combination stalker and party girl when that was far from the truth. O’Connor is better than the material given to her.

Still, I was lured into the story, and I wanted to know how it would end. It hooked me, and I wasn’t suspecting that. So, while I believe the script was sub-par and the acting questionable, there was enough story there to keep me from start to finish.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1130031040670731/k2311a0330/3.30.10