Charlie Chan in Reno movie  » Movies  »
  • I can see it in his movements and expressions now, but I don't think I knew that when I was a kid watching these movies for the first time
  • It's one of the best things of any Charlie Chan movie

• by Orrymain

It’s been ages since I’ve sat down and watched a Charlie Chan movie, so going into this I was curious to see how I’d enjoy it again. This movie, Charlie Chan in Reno, was from 1939 and stars Sidney Toler in the role of the infamous detective.

The black and white picture begins with a taxi ride for Pauline Moore, who plays Mary Whitman. I love the taxi cab driver.

He was played by Eddie Collins, a Vaudeville actor who did some movies. His voice is very distinctive. I was totally interested in his short bit.

There’s some overdone screaming in this movie, first by the woman who opens a door to see Whitman leaning over a dead body, and then by Whitman as she realizes everyone thinks she committed the murder. The yells certainly woke me up.

I loved the early bit with Charlie making Easter eggs for the children. That was so cute.

By golly I learned something, too. I don’t recall knowing that Charlie’s son, Jimmy, who always means well but was always getting in trouble, was played by Victor Sen Yung. I know him best as Hop Sing on Bonanza. I can see it in his movements and expressions now, but I don’t think I knew ...

• Charlie Chan in Reno movie
      that when I was a kid watching these movies for the first time. He was so great in this role, bringing great enthusiasm and spark to the character.

Just as I remembered it, the father and son relationship of Charlie and Jimmy is just adorable. It’s one of the best things of any Charlie Chan movie; that and the quips that Charlie doles out. I was chuckling all the way

through.

Iris Wong was marvelous as Choy Wong. She was cute and spunky. She had a short career, but she was a highlight of this Charlie Chan film.

The answer to my question of whether or not I’d still like these movies is yes, based on this film. I thought it was a great delight. It was a good story with pure Charlie Chan twists throughout. I wish I had more to watch.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1130031040660731/k2311a0330/3.30.10