Oak Park Village Apartments, Lenexa Kansas  » Real estate  »
97th and Quivera, Lenexa Kansas
  • Now I love living in this Apartment Complex for two main reasons, it is very cheap, the cheapest we have found in the area so far ($780 for a 3 bedroom/2 bath), and it is close to everything
  • There is a mall literally right across the street and there are dozens of restaurants of many different styles within walking distance, it is very convenient
  • The biggest deciding factor for my roommates and me not re-newing our lease is the crime issue

• by Angelo

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

While a friend and I were apartment shopping we stopped by the Oak Park Village Apartments on 97th and Quivera. We walked into the clubhouse at the beginning of the complex and we were greeted by very friendly people, we talked about prices and Oak Park Village Employee showed us one of the unoccupied models.

On paper Oak Park Village is a dream come true, two salt water pools, a fitness center, wifi (at the clubhouse), a myriad of basketball, tennis, and sand volleyball courts scattered throughout the humongous complex. But as soon as you started to venture deeper into the complex you’ll figure out why the rent is so cheap.

The building I live in, along with about half the others in the complex just got “re-done”.

Although the only improvement I’ve seen is a fresh coat of paint. The dryers still take two cycles to fully dry your clothes and the carpet in our building still looks so disgusting I wouldn’t let my dog eat off of it.

The other half of the buildings, however, look a lot better. There is not stained carpet, broken stairs, or any other non-desirable trait.

Now I love living in this Apartment Complex for two main reasons, it is very cheap, the cheapest we have found in the area so far ($780 for a 3 bedroom/2 bath), and it is close to everything! There is a mall literally right across the street and there are dozens of restaurants of many different styles within walking distance, it is ...

• very convenient.

But sadly, all these perks have their downside. Since the area around Oak Park Village is rather heavily trafficked with the mall across the street and all, congestion on the roads is a sure thing, especially with rush hour.

The biggest deciding factor for my roommates and me not re-newing our lease is the crime issue. If you care about your family’s safety, it would be best not to move to OPV. This is a very poor and very Hispanic part of Lenexa, Kansas. There have been reports of numerous car break-ins around the complex for the past couple of weeks, I hear sirens every night, and about two weeks ago a friend was over and his car got stolen in the middle of

the night!

The police know about these criminal problems at least and they run a patrol car or K9 unit through our complex very often to try and deter these criminals. It helps, but there is only so much they can do.

Overall, for your money, Oak Park Village is a good place live, both for struggling families and college students since the community college is right down the road. I am going to give OPV a 6 out of 10, because even though the rent is cheap, it is hard to make up for the very high crime rate, which can both lead to the loss of your monetary values, or worse.

-Angelo Troiola

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 6229031039280231/k2311a0329/3.29.10