Gentle Leader Headcollar  » Pets  »
  • The placement of the lead is meant to make a dog consider the owner his/her leader
  • I really love my gentle leader because my dog weighs close to 90 pounds while I only weigh 100
  • I know a lot of people buy choke chains to fix this, but that is not humane
  • I highly recommend this collar to everyone

• by mamajess

The gentle leader head collar for dogs is a big improvement over normal collars. It replaces a normal collar for walking a dog. I keep my dog’s collar with his tags on all the time and just put the gentle leader on for walks. There is no need to remove the standard neck collar when using the gentle leader. You might be wondering how does a Gentle Leader work? It is pretty simple really.

Instead of a normal collar that only goes around the neck with a leash attached to the throat area, it is like a harness you would put on a horse’s head. The leash attaches just under the dog’s chin so that if they pull, it feels funny to them. The principle behind the Gentle Leader Headcollar is meant to allow dog owners to communicate with their pet in a way that

dogs instinctively understand. The nose loop encircles the dog’s muzzle and applies light pressure in the same manner in which the lead dogs naturally communicate with dogs lower in rank.

The placement of the lead is meant to make a dog consider the owner his/her leader. I cannot tell you if that actually works this way, but I can tell you that they cannot pull like on a normal leash. The gentle leader is made of the same material as most leashes. It is a soft nylon that allows dogs to eat, drink and pant with it on.

I have had no issues with my dog doing any of those and we have had no chafing issues with the lead. What does the Headcollar look like?

The gentle leader is easy to put on, it takes only a few seconds longer than putting on a ...

• normal collar. Once you have adjusted it properly you do not need to tighten it with each use. You only need to adjust it if your pet has grown.

To use you simply snap it on and put the leash on the metal loop. To take it off, you unhook your leash and unsnap the collar. I really love my gentle leader because my dog weighs close to 90 pounds while I only weigh 100. It would be very easy for him to get excited and pull me down.

Before we had the leader and we used a normal leash he would drag me down the street. This collar uses the same principles as a horse halter which makes it unable to pull you. A dog owner who is small like myself cannot compete with the strength of a normal dog. I

know a lot of people buy choke chains to fix this, but that is not humane.

When using the gentle leader no matter how hard your dog pulls he cannot choke himself. You get more control than you would with a choke chain and yo do not hurt your dog. I highly recommend this collar to everyone. It is not expensive and as long as you measure your dog before buying to get the right size it is very easy to put on and get the right size.

We have owned the same leader for 4 years and it has no wear on it. I am unable to safely walk my dog without the lead if I am pushing a stroller, but with this collar it is like I am walking a whole new dog. I cannot describe in words how easy this collar makes it to walk even the most energetic dog.

Gentle Leader Headcollar

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2925031036720631/k2311a0325/3.25.10