White Beach, Puerto Galera  » Leisure  »
  • One way ticket cost Php250 while two-way ticket cost Php450
  • They were offering services such as snorkling, scuba diving, island hopping as well as accomodations available, to which I found annoying
  • Going to a tourist location as popular as Galera, I was disappointed
  • The experience was great though I had two bad falls
  • There are few amusing things I noticed in Galera

• by jennyvieve

Four days ago, my officemates and I went to Puerto Galera. We all had high hopes about this month long-planned trip. Few things kept going on our way before this grand out of town getaway but we persisted.

Our group headed our way to bus station in Gil Puyat Avenue. We got in a bus going to Batagas port. Travel time form Buendia to Batangas takes approximately two hours. Bus fare cost Php166.50. From there, we boarded on a boat going to Puerto Galera. One way ticket cost Php250 while two-way ticket cost Php450. There were other fees that we had to cover including insurance and terminal fee. Insurance was at Php50 while terminal fee was at Php25. We got our two-way tickets so we wouldn’t have to worry about our fare going back.

We almost missed the last trip to Galera that day. Last trip was at 4:30 in the afternoon. The boat was almost full when we got in. We would have sit in the front row had we got in earlier but since it was already occupied, we settled ourselves in the middle. And guess what, it turned out that we were lucky enough to be sitting in the middle row. The passengers in the front row had to withstand the seawater coming outside. They were even using their lifejackets to shield themselves

from the splash of seawater. It was supposed to be a pitiful sight but my colleagues were making jokes out of that situation. I couldn’t help but join them. Guilty.

We reached White Beach shore after 45 minutes. Local folks approached each passenger that boarded from the boat. They were offering services such as snorkling, scuba diving, island hopping as well as accomodations available, to which I found annoying. They should have known that we’ve been to almost three hours of travel time and that the last thing we wanted was to be bugged by their endless chanting.

We had a reservation set up before going to galera. We checked in at White Beach Hotel. The room had 4 beds, a cable TV, an air conditioner, and a shower. Not bad for Php1500 per night.

We promenaded the whole place at dusk. Going to a tourist location as popular as Galera, I was disappointed. There were only few people strolling by the beach. There seemed to have more local folks than tourists.Maybe because we went on a weekday. One of my companions said that during holidays especially on holy week, White Beach is full of tourists, foreign and local alike.

Ironically, the place is called White Beach, when the sand on the beach was more beige than white. Bars and restaurants were piled by the seawall.

• Bars were mostly smal quadrants with Iiquors and beverages displayed above the counter. Tables and chairs for customers were extended to the beach. The sight was neither inviting nor pleasing. The place was gloomy. It would have been more attractive had there been colorful beach flags piled along the shoreline.

But then, maybe it wasn’t about the place or atmophere. Maybe it was me. I just arrived and I hadn’t got the feel of the beach just yet.

That night, we ate in a small restaurant. Food was great and not as expensive as I expected.

Afterwards, we went to a bar located just by the seawall. We sit around a table by the beach. My officemates ordered mindoro sling and a mango juice for me. I don’t drink so there’s nothing much that I can say about Mindoro Sling. I like the apple slices in it though. I also heard my companions saying saying that Mindoro Sling tasted good. Maybe it was.

The next day was loaded with activities such as swimming, riding on banana boat, playing volleyball, picture taking and more picture taking.

Banana boat ride cost Php200 per person and for a group of ten. Since we were only seven in our group and there seemed to have no one interested to take part in our adventure, we chose to pay

for the three remaining slots. The experience was great though I had two bad falls. The man on the boat pulling us was diligent in taking our pictures which we enjoyed tremendously.

For volleyball, we were charged Php100 per hour.

There are few amusing things I noticed in Galera. One is that, gays were all over the place. Lots of them. From the waiters at the bar, to fire dancers at the beach and up to salespersons in the souvenir shops and even two of my companions are gays. No wonder, one of the Arab tourists that we got to hang out with asked why there were lots of gays in the country. Another is that, there was no free water available. Every restaurant that we dined in served bottled water. Oh, I remember there was one that did not charged for water. The name of the restaurant was Tia Maria’s. That was the same restaurant that had a girl for a waitress. And to our dismay, it was also the place that played spanish songs all throughout.

Overall, Puerto Galera is a nice play to stay. The place itself is not as attractive as Boracay but it will do a nice alternative. Depending on the time of the year, the people that you are with and the type of adventure that one is looking for, Puerto Galera is one great getaway.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 6124031034760631/k2311a0324/3.24.10