Breville Stainless Steel Electric Kettle SK500XL  » Housewares  »
  • I love the design of this kettle – the kettle itself is all stainless steel inside and out and sits on a stainless steel base
  • My personal experience to date of this kettle has all been positive
  • However, I prefer the fact that it then goes on heating until the water is at a fast rolling boil, a few seconds after boiling point, and then the kettle switches off by itself
  • I like the fact that the electric plug has a nice solid ring that make is easy to remove from the socket
  • The lid mechanism works perfectly and has not failed, but in my opinion, looks to be the weakest part of the appliance, being made of thin plastic and having the one touch button release

• by npz

The Breville Stainless Steel Electric Kettle SK500XL looks beautiful. I love the design of this kettle – the kettle itself is all stainless steel inside and out and sits on a stainless steel base. When I was researching a kettle to buy, a lot of the other brands had too much plastic inside, and many had a plastic base. But with this kettle, it is not all about the looks, it performs great as well.

My personal experience to date of this kettle has all been positive. Before I purchased, I was concerned by some people complaining that it is slow to switch off once the water

boils. However, having purchased and used this kettle extensively, I now know that this feature is deliberate. The water reaches boiling point very fast, and you can choose to switch off the kettle at this point. However, I prefer the fact that it then goes on heating until the water is at a fast rolling boil, a few seconds after boiling point, and then the kettle switches off by itself. The water level is lit to let you know the kettle has been switched on, and there is a nice audible bell to let you know when it has switched off.

The stainless steel exterior is brushed,

• reasonably resistant to fingerprints and cleans up very quickly and easily. A quick wipe and you are done. The black plastic handle feels sturdy, and certainly stays cool. I like the fact that the electric plug has a nice solid ring that make is easy to remove from the socket.

Downsides are very few. I thought the water capacity would be more. It is more than adequate for 4 or 5 large mugs, but somehow, I thought it would be larger. The lid has a nice soft open-close mechanism and is semi-see-through. It also allows for easy filling and emptying. The lid mechanism

works perfectly and has not failed, but in my opinion, looks to be the weakest part of the appliance, being made of thin plastic and having the one touch button release.

The water level is on the side of the kettle underneath the handle. When not lit, i.e. when filling the kettle, it is slightly hard to see and is, in my view, a slight design flaw. Of course, once filled and switched on the blue backlight makes the level very easy to see!

Overall, this kettle performs above expectation and looks fantastic on the counter. It manages to be both substantial, but discrete. I would highly recommend it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5324031034720631/k2311a0324/3.24.10