Bayside Supper Club  » Restaurants  »
W9231 Highway G, Beaver Dam, WI 53916
  • I was very impressed with what I saw there
  • They were able to recommend a wine to my wife and made us feel very comfortable there
  • For example, they are one of the few restaurants in this area that offer lobster tail (something my wife unfortunately could not get because they ran out a short time before)
  • I thought this was going to be a restaurant that was overpriced
  • I ended up ordering the jumbo shrimp platter and it was some of the best shrimp I have ever eaten

• by Review Vigilante

My wife and I celebrated our 7th Wedding Anniversary this past weekend. She was pregnant last year at this time and we couldn’t do a whole lot as a result. So, I wanted to make it up to her this year by taking her to a movie and to a restaurant we hadn’t dined at before. I had heard good things about Bayside Supper Club but, despite the fact I have lived in Beaver Dam, WI my whole life, have honestly avoided dining there in the past. The reason for that is the restaurant (which is a popular place for wedding receptions and class reunions) seemed like a dining establishment that would be a bit out of my price range.

But, this past weekend was a special occasion so I figured we would splurge a bit and we went to Bayside for the first time. I was very impressed with what I saw there. We got to the restaurant a little after 5 (we had hoped to make the earlier movie but ended up

going to the late one anyway). There weren’t a whole lot of people there, which was a bit surprising considering it was a Saturday and, once again, I started to worry the restaurant might be a bit out of my price range.

We had to wait a few minutes to be seated by the hostess but, once we were, the service was outstanding. They were able to recommend a wine to my wife and made us feel very comfortable there. I left the restaurant feeling like I was a regular and not someone visiting for the first time. We even ended up with free ice cream (with two spoons) because we mentioned it was our anniversary.

I will start out by saying the menu selection at Bayside Supper Club was a bit limited. Let’s put it this way, if you aren’t in the mood for steak or fish, you are going to want to go somewhere else. However, even though they didn’t have a lot of options, they had some good choices. For example,

• they are one of the few restaurants in this area that offer lobster tail (something my wife unfortunately could not get because they ran out a short time before).

Oh, and their appetizers included things like alligator and shark; though neither of us was brave enough to try those. What really surprised me about the menu though were the prices. I thought this was going to be a restaurant that was overpriced. But, they actually weren’t any more expensive than a lot of the other local restaurants, like Applebee’s or Ponderosa.

And, unlike Applebee’s, the dinner came with salad and soup. One thing my wife loved about this restaurant was the fact we didn’t get all our food at once. Most places will bring out the soup a few seconds before the main course. That wasn’t the case here.

We had our salad first (their salad bar is a bit small but the vegetables were very fresh). When we were done with that, they brought us our soup (Cream of Asparagus which turned out

to be a lot better than I thought it would be). And, when we were done with that, then they brought us our main course. Maybe there are some who don’t like that, but we thought it was fantastic because we really felt like we were getting a three-course meal.

The food was also very good. I ended up ordering the jumbo shrimp platter and it was some of the best shrimp I have ever eaten. Even the French fries I ordered with it seemed better than the fries at a lot of the other places around town. The last thing that really impressed me about this place was the view of the Beaver Dam Lake.

This was a major change from a lot of the restaurants around town; where your only view is of the city street or the parking lot outside. Bayside really takes advantage of this too, by having large windows. It might have taken me quite a few years to actually eat at this establishment. But, after finally dining there, I am confident I will be returning there in the future

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 723031034560831/k2311a0323/3.23.10