Rogers Cinema
2.0
236 Front St, Beaver Dam, WI 53916
  • I know we should feel lucky to even have a theater here in town
  • I found this a bit funny because I had to pay for my ticket at the concession stand
  • But, I like watching movie previews so I have some idea what movies are coming out in the future (in the case there might actually be one I would be interested in seeing at the theater)
  • Even if I wasn’t a movie preview fan, I would prefer those over that boring crap

• by Review Vigilante

I don’t normally go to the movie theater here in town. But, this past weekend was our anniversary and I didn’t want to just take my wife to dinner and be home by 7. So, we decided to splurge a bit and I took her to see a movie at Rogers Cinema, located at 236 Front St. The movie was OK. But, I left the theater with a reminder about why I don’t go to the movies as often as I used to. I know we should feel lucky to even have a theater here in town.

I don’t like driving great distances; especially at night and would rather go to a local theater than one in Madison or some other town. But, when I was younger, I remember seeing long lines outside this theater. And, I can understand why kids would rather go hang out in a mall parking lot on the weekend than go to a movie. First of all, Rogers Cinema is very expensive. OK, to be honest, I don’t go to a lot of different movie theaters, so maybe it is the same price as everyone else.

But, there were just two of us and I was a bit shocked when

our bill came to $30. 50 after ordering popcorn and drinks. That’s the equivalent of what I spend on Netflix in two months and I can watch as many movies as I want through that. I had cash with me but was 50 cents short. And, since I didn’t have any change, I asked if I could pay $20 in cash and put the rest on my debit card.

I couldn’t so I had to use my debit card for the whole thing (good thing I had enough money in my account). I found this a bit funny because I had to pay for my ticket at the concession stand. If I would have bought the tickets at the ticket counter instead, I could have done that. Not to mention it isn’t that complex of a technology. I can’t think of a single business here in town that isn’t capable of taking two forms of payment for one bill.

Anyway, back on subject, in some fairness when it came to the price, we did get quite a bit of food. The sodas and popcorn were more than enough to get us through a 2-hour long movie and we even had some left over for the next ...

• day. However, even though the popcorn came in a reasonable quantity, the quality was a bit disappointing. There were a lot of un-popped kernels in it (I left a small collection on the floor next to my seat) and, even though they supposedly added butter to the popcorn, we had a heck of a time tasting any. Most of the pieces seemed to be quite dry and there were quite a few that got caught in my teeth or in the back of my throat.

The movie we chose to watch was in a smaller theater and the sound quality wasn’t horrible. But, the picture quality, quite honestly, wasn’t that great. It was grainy and, at times, faded, on the screen. There were also a few times when the movie appeared to skip. It reminded me a bit of the crappy DVD player we just got rid of; the one that would freeze up with just about every movie we attempted to watch on it.

This is probably not as huge of a deal as I’m making it sound, but I also couldn’t help but notice there weren’t any previews in front of the movie we were watching (Shutter Island). Some people aren’t going to

complain about that. But, I like watching movie previews so I have some idea what movies are coming out in the future (in the case there might actually be one I would be interested in seeing at the theater). We didn’t get any with this film. Instead, we got this whole advertising thing that showed a couple local businesses and kept repeating the same movie trivia over and over again.

Even if I wasn’t a movie preview fan, I would prefer those over that boring crap. I also couldn’t help but notice the theater was a bit on the cold side. I was OK but my wife was freezing throughout; making it somewhat uncomfortable sitting there watching a movie. It was almost as though the theater wanted us to pay for the movie but then wanted to give us an excuse to leave before it was done. Oh, and not to beat a dead horse or anything, but the seats themselves were very uncomfortable.

They were small and cramped and, unlike the seats in the newer theaters, you couldn’t recline back any. My back was kind of sore by the time the movie was done. Needless to say, I didn’t see anything at this theater that would make me want to go back there any time soon.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3223031034550831/k2311a0323/3.23.10