2010 Dodge Caravan  » Cars  »
2.5
  • I don’t need that much space in my car and I definitely don’t have that much space in my driveway
  • I have had a chance to see this vehicle and even drive the vehicle a couple times and I have seen some things I like about it and others I don’t
  • One thing I noticed about this van is, even though it is actually a bit longer than their old van, I find it is easier to back it up and maneuver
  • I think that’s because it has a little better visibility in the blind spots than their other van did and cuts a bit sharper
  • But, there are plenty of things, with that issue with the car seat being a major one, that I just don’t like about this van and cannot see myself wasting my money on it

• by Review Vigilante

Personally, there is absolutely no way you will ever see me buy a mini-van. I have two kids; not 5. I don’t need that much space in my car and I definitely don’t have that much space in my driveway. However, for some strange reason, my parents seem to think they need a mini-van still; despite the fact they only have the two grand kids at any given time and maybe my wife. They would have plenty of room in a car but don’t realize that.

That’s why, when they recently had to replace the van they have been driving for the past 12 years, they ultimately ended up purchasing a 2010 Dodge Caravan. I have had a chance to see this vehicle and even drive the vehicle a couple times and I have seen some things I like about it and others I don’t. Driving the van, I do have to admit it rides pretty nicely. The cab sits up high so you have pretty decent visibility and the van does have enough power to get up to speed relatively quick.

One thing I noticed about this van

is, even though it is actually a bit longer than their old van, I find it is easier to back it up and maneuver. I think that’s because it has a little better visibility in the blind spots than their other van did and cuts a bit sharper. The Stow-and-Go seating is a nice touch too. I don’t know how often they will actually use this feature (it’s not like they plan on hauling a ladder in their van or anything, especially since they own a truck) but I can see the benefit of having seats that fold down into the floor and practically disappear rather than just folding over or physically having to be removed.

In fact, I kind of wish my car had that feature. Now on to the stuff I don’t like about this van. First, it sits kind of high off the ground. This isn’t a huge deal for me and it would have a slight benefit when driving in the winter if there was a deep snow on the ground.

But, my mom is 5 feet tall with short legs. I’m still curious exactly ...

• how she gets in this van and I have to think it is with some difficulty. I was a bit surprised she didn’t have a step stool in the vehicle. I’m also not a huge fan of the gear shift.

It’s just in one of the stupidest locations imaginable; in the middle of the dash board. I can understand trying to save space by not having it on the floor but it seems ridiculous there and doesn’t seem to have any added benefit over having the gear shift on the right side of the steering column like their last van did. Personally, I think it is more of an eye sore than a conversation starter and wonder what they were drinking when they came up with something like that. As a parent, I also have to wonder why Dodge and Chrysler products still have issues when it comes to rear-facing infant car seats.

My wife and I both own Chryslers and their previous van was a Chrysler. The Dodge Caravan has the same issue they did, the seat does not fit properly. And, it’s not just one car seat

either. We’ve had this problem with several different makes and models of car seat.

In the case of their van, the strap system that is supposed to be in place so you don’t have to use the seat belt, did not work right. We could not get the car seat in tight enough and actually had to use the seatbelt anyway. Even then, we couldn’t get the seat at the right angle because the seats are slanted. I could understand this problem in a car.

But, with a mini-van, you think you would specifically design the seats to make the car seat fit properly. Even the sales person at the dealership (I went with my dad to force them to put the seat in) agreed the seat wasn’t working and it was the van’s fault. Again, I’m not a mini-van person. But, if I was, I still probably would not buy this vehicle.

There are some things I like about it, I’ll admit that. But, there are plenty of things, with that issue with the car seat being a major one, that I just don’t like about this van and cannot see myself wasting my money on it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 923031034530831/k2311a0323/3.23.10