Shadow of the Hawk movie
1.5
  • I love some of the mystical qualities, but it's told in a style that doesn't appeal to me

• by Orrymain

Shadow of the Hawk is a 1976 movie that stars Jan-Michael Vincent as a successful businessman named Mike who doesn’t even think about his Indian heritage. He doesn’t believe in any of the Indian spiritual rituals or the aspects of being a medicine man. However, when his grandfather, Old Man Hawk, shows up, things just might change.

Hawk is the medicine man, a man of power as Mike says. He’s

battling a major war of good versus evil, though Mike is hesitant to buy into that. Still, Hawk proclaims that Mike will take his place and do battle. Failure means death to the Indian.

For me, the movie is a little word. I love some of the mystical qualities, but it’s told in a style that doesn’t appeal to me. In much of the opening, there’s just silence as ...

• Hawk realizes what is happening and goes to get Mike. At the same time, Mike is having weird dreams. Ah, it’s destiny.

There are minutes devoted to Mike just discovering what is happening, walking through the woods and dealing with the mystic beings. Then the whole bit where he does sort of become the medicine man and has the big battle. It’s a bit too much for me.

Marilyn Hassett

is along for the ride as a journalist named Maureen and naturally, there’s love in the air.

Chief Dan George does his thing as Old Man Hawk. He’s the genuine article, so it’s hard to criticize him at all.

The scenery is beautiful, as is Hassett. I wish I could like this movie. I have nothing against the subject matter. I just couldn’t get into the way the story was told.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1123031034320731/k2311a0323/3.23.10