Sweet Bird of Youth movie  » Movies  »
  • My problem is that I have a hard time with this old Southern style of rule

• by Orrymain

From 1962, Sweet Bird of Youth is the Tennessee Williams tale of a young man who returns home after a failed bid to make it as an actor in Hollywood.

Paul Newman is terrific as Chance Wayne, the bad guy who surprises the town by showing up unexpectedly. He’s full of fire and is quite a spectacle to watch as this play turned movie progresses. He has some

big dreams and a tender heart that he keeps hidden much of the time.

My problem is that I have a hard time with this old Southern style of rule. It’s not an attractive theme to me. I don’t enjoy it, so watching Boss Finley (Ed Begley) just makes me cringe big time especially when he talks about butchering his dog. It aches. It’s painful.

• I just don’t feel entertained. This has nothing to do with the realism of the story or how well it’s done. It’s simply not something that comes across as entertaining.

Geraldine Page does an impressive job, as does Shirley Knight, whose character has the unusual name of Heavenly. The problem is that the story isn’t heavenly, and again, that’s painful. Her scenes with Newman are great,

though. I just can’t forget their final moments on screen. Talk about powerful; that’s this one.

Sweet Bird of Youth is full of good acting, and it’s well written. I’m guessing that the last line of the film caused some sensation back in the day. It’s delightful, though.

There’s no denying the greatness of this picture. While it’s not my personal style, it’s still impressive and commanding.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1123031034240731/k2311a0323/3.23.10