Scion tC Car  » Cars  »
  • Personally, this doesn't bother me because I like having the excellent handling

• by Broomer

I can’t tell you how sporty and young I feel (even though I’m in the over-50 crowd) when driving around in my burgundy red Scion tC. I absolutely love this car.

Toyota has outdone themselves with the tC. I bought mine with several options: fog lights, upgraded stereo, metal racing-style pedals (accelerator and brake), Scion decals, leather seats, and best of all…the TRD (Toyota Racing Development) exhaust system, which gives my Scion a throaty growl. And all of this for under $20,000. Actually, without all the extra options, you can get one for under $18,000.

The tC is built very close to the

ground, so it corners like a champ and has extremely responsive steering. But one downside is that it’s a bit difficult getting in and out, since it’s so low, and if you are over six feet tall your head is going to brush up against the interior ceiling of the car (luckily I’m only five foot ten!).

I also like the leg room in the back seat. It’s surprisingly roomy for a small car. But here too, the downside is the sloping rear of the car means that anyone over about five foot eight will have to slouch down to get ...

• headroom. But fortunately there is all the leg room to slouch in!

Another great feature is the radio controls built into the steering wheel, which makes it easy to adjust volume, change channels, or change tracks on the CD without taking your eyes off the road. All cars should have this in my opinion.

The tC has a pretty tight suspension, which helps handling, but also means that you’re going to feel every bump in the road. Personally, this doesn’t bother me because I like having the excellent handling. It really handles more like a sport car than a coupe.

My tC has 171

horsepower with the TRD exhaust, which is more than enough to get up and go. The four speed automatic transmission shifts great when accelerating rapidly, less so at lower speeds. But overall, the car has been great mechanically. I’ve put over 60,000 miles on it with virtually no repairs. Just normal maintenance.

And lastly, my two teenage daughters just love this car and always ask to borrow it. They tell me that their friends say I have the coolest car of any of their fathers.

I also think the Scion XB is pretty cool, but that’s a topic for someone else’s review!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 923031033260631/k2311a0323/3.23.10