Deadly Matrimony - Part 1 movie  » Movies  »
  • I enjoyed seeing Lisa Eilbacher as Dianne's friend in this
  • Of course, the police are corrupted, but I think I'd go anywhere but home, had I been in that situation

• by Orrymain

From 1992, Brian Dennehy stars in Deadly Matrimony in which a woman is killed, prompting Dennehy’s character to reflect back to three years earlier.

The concept behind this movie is nothing new. It’s the successful businessman — handsome, confident, charming — who meets the beautiful and intelligent woman who would become his wife. On the surface, they are the perfect couple, but behind the pulled curtains and closed doors, he’s a wife beater.

Treat Williams is perfectly cast as Alan Masters, the

well-known business man no one believes is capable of domestic violence. Embeth Davidtz portrays Dianne Masters, the battered wife who finally gets the courage to break away and start a shelter for those abused like she’d been. I’m not acquainted with Davidtz, but she had the right look and performed adequately.

This is also the beginning of the Jack Reed detective movies, several of which were made in the mid-nineties. In those, he’s still living in Chicago, where this story ...

• takes place, and Susan Ruttan continues to play his wife, Arlene.

I enjoyed seeing Lisa Eilbacher as Dianne’s friend in this. I remember when Eilbacher was a young girl, appearing on television. In fact, she and her sister, Cindy, were together on one of my favorite episodes of Alias Smith and Jones. Her character in this movie foresees Dianne’s murder, which is scary enough.

As for the story, there are a couple of really dumb moments, like when Dianne is almost

murdered on the drive home and instead of going to the police, she goes home. That’s ludicrous behavior. Of course, the police are corrupted, but I think I’d go anywhere but home, had I been in that situation.

Part 1 did a nice job of setting up the movie. As a note, Dennehy was more of a guest star in the set up portion. Most of this was focused on giving the viewer a rounded history of the dead woman.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1121031030650231/k2311a0321/3.21.10