The Hound of the Baskervilles movie (2000)  » Movies  »
1.5
  • I have a big problem with Frewer as Holmes

• by Orrymain

Over the years, there have been an abundance of The Hound of the Baskervilles movies out there. It’s probably Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s most recognized tale which features his classic Sherlock Holmes character. Playing the iconic role in this 2000 TV movie is Matt Frewer, who is best known for his portrayal of Edison Carter on Max Headroom.

I have a big

problem with Frewer as Holmes. He looks to me like he’s trying to mimic the part, not become one with it. His facial expressions, even how his smokes the characteristic pipe, seems put on and overly done. His vocal tone is more like a parody than being that of an intelligent and cunning character. It really drove me batty ...

• as I watched this movie. It was like Edison Carter in a holodeck aboard the Enterprise. Frewer wasn’t Holmes; he was trying to pretend he was, and he did a bad job of it, too.

Now Kenneth Welsh was the opposite. Watching him was like watching the sometimes befuddled but always endearing assistant to the great detective. While not my

ideal Dr. Watson, he was much more natural in his portrayal than Frewer was in his.

While Jason London was satisfactory as Sir Henry, I just couldn’t ever overcome Frewer’s wacky, over the top portrayal of Holmes. Doyle’s story just wasn’t enough to pull this detective through. It soured.

When I really want to watch this story, I’ll look for the classic Rathbone version.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1121031030610231/k2311a0321/3.21.10