The January Man movie  » Movies  »
2.5
  • I love that line, and it does say something early on about the potential vulnerability of the character
  • The problem for me is that, save for Mastrantonio, none of these folks particularly interest me, and seeing them on screen isn't enticing
  • It has to do with his identity, and in a way, I think that's the best part of the entire film
  • This wasn't a role that I enjoyed him in at all

• by Orrymain

The January Man from 1989 is a family melodrama focusing on a serial killer. The family is engaged in a soap opera of sorts because its two brothers, both cops, are at odds. This began two years earlier when one uses the other for the fall guy in a scandal.

“The door’s open; it’s been open for two years.” This is an early line spoken by Nick

Starkey (Kevin Kline) who has been returned to active duty on the police force as a special investigator after having been an outcast for quite a while as a result of the scandal. I love that line, and it does say something early on about the potential vulnerability of the character.

That said, we quickly learn there was more than in-law status between Nick and his brother’s wife, Christine ...

• (Susan Sarandon). I don’t see the sizzle there myself so this wasn’t a part of the movie that meant much to me.

Harvey Keitel, Rod Steiger, Alan Rickman, Faye Grant, Danny Aiello, and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio all have their moments in The January Man. The problem for me is that, save for Mastrantonio, none of these folks particularly interest me, and seeing them on screen isn’t enticing.

I just stare and wonder why I’m watching.

The ending has one bit of intrigue as respects the actual serial killer. It has to do with his identity, and in a way, I think that’s the best part of the entire film. There’s some poignancy and reality to it.

As for Kline, I’ve seen better work from him. This wasn’t a role that I enjoyed him in at all.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1121031030580231/k2311a0321/3.21.10