We Own the Night movie  » Movies  »
1.0
  • I don't like profanity and the opening minutes are full of swearing, not to mention other subject matter that I don't consider entertaining
  • The main problem for me is just the dark tone of the picture
  • I wasn't at all impressed with Eva Mendes as the girlfriend

• by Orrymain

This movie, We Own the Night, is not one I would normally watch under any circumstances were it not for the fact that someone sent it to me. Never turn down a trusted freebie, as I always say. However, it’s crude from the get go, and that’s just not my style. I don’t like profanity and the opening minutes are full of swearing, not to mention other subject matter that I don’t consider entertaining.

Joaquin Phoenix stars

as Bobby Green. Phoenix is a good actor, a very capable performing, but there is something about the characters he chooses that don’t appeal to me. Bobby Green continues that. I’m not lured into the role in any way.

The main problem for me is just the dark tone of the picture. The theme has a lot of drama, that of two brothers headed in different directions. One is a cop and the other hangs ...

• out with shady mobsters even though he tries to walk a middle ground. When his worlds collide, Bobby has to decide who he is, and that’s something that puts a strain on his relationship with his girlfriend.

The music is very downtrodden and much of the visual aspects to the film are murky, in keeping with the theme. There’s too much violence for my liking, but that goes along with the nature of the movie.

I wasn’t at all

impressed with Eva Mendes as the girlfriend. She was just very average to me. Mark Wahlberg was okay as the brother. Robert Duvall turned his supporting role into a colorful bit of strength, as he always manages to do.

However, even the big conclusion of the movie was a downer in tone, and it shouldn’t have been. All in all, We Own the Night just depresses me, and I’m glad I’m on to a new movie to watch.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1121031030280231/k2311a0321/3.21.10