Cucumber Dill Soup with Scallions recipe  » Recipes  »
  • I love eating it, and I even enjoy making it, because I always make a huge batch, freeze it in one or two portion sizes, and pack it for lunches for my family
  • This soup is delicious, refreshing, and is a great lunch or even an appetizer before a meal

• by Jessie Bahrey

I am a huge soup fan; I love eating it, and I even enjoy making it, because I always make a huge batch, freeze it in one or two portion sizes, and pack it for lunches for my family. I find that most soups taste even better after being frozen and re-heated. This soup is delicious, refreshing, and is a great lunch

or even an appetizer before a meal. It is also relatively easy to make, unlike so many soups. The buttermilk adds a richness that is very filling and satisfying.

Ingredients:

5 large cucumbers, peeled, quartered lengthwise and seeded 1 bunch of scallions 1 bunch of dill, ends picked 1 clove of garlic, chopped Juice of 3 large lemons 4 cups of buttermilk 1 ...

• cup plain yogurt Salt Freshly ground white pepper Dash of Tabasco (optional, but I always use it)

Directions:

Thinly slice half of the cucumbers crosswise. Thinly slice half of the scallions crosswise: set aside.

Coarsely chop the remaining cucumbers and scallions and transfer them to a large bowl. Add the dill, garlic, lemon juice, buttermilk and yogurt, and give a good but gentle stir. Season with

salt and pepper and puree in a blender until liquefied. I have used a food processor, but for some reason, the blender seems to make it smoother.

Transfer the soup to a large bowl and add the reserved sliced cucumber and scallions. Adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper and Tabasco sauce to taste. Chill it for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator, if you are serving right away, or freeze for later use.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4919031029860631/k2311a0319/3.19.10