First 2A bus route, Worcestershire
  • The older buses have the traditional bench seats, which despite a startling bright purple covering I prefer to the more modern individual seats as I find them more comfortable, whether on a crowded or a lightly loaded bus
  • However, I think that First have pitched their prices fairly reasonably, with a return ticket along the whole length of the route coming in at exactly two pounds

• by fredhound

The 2A bus from Kidderminster to Bewdley is one which I make use of on a regular basis, and for the most part I use the service provided by First (even though I am not a great fan of their lack of interest in long-established local brands such as Midland Red) rather than the rival operation run by Whittle. The reason for this is simply that I have found that buying a pass for the First buses is the most economical way to travel.

Many of the buses used by First are now getting on a bit, having been initially purchases back in the

mid 1990s, and they can be a little bit bumpy when riding over speed bumps. Happily the 2A, unlike the plain service 2, takes a fairly direct route and misses out the bump-infested Habberley and Queensway estates. On those buses with the worst suspension, I can be quite grateful for that!

The older buses have the traditional bench seats, which despite a startling bright purple covering I prefer to the more modern individual seats as I find them more comfortable, whether on a crowded or a lightly loaded bus. There is, as you would expect, no air conditioning, but the “hopper” windows are fairly ...

• efficient at circulating air. However, the large glass area inevitably means that the vehicle can get unpleasantly hot in the summer sun.

Fares are the bugbear of almost every user of public transport, and I am certainly no exception to that rule. However, I think that First have pitched their prices fairly reasonably, with a return ticket along the whole length of the route coming in at exactly two pounds. It is also possible to buy a weekly season for about ten pounds, but I prefer to spend the same on the surprisingly little known “First Ten Journey” ticket, which as its name implies

allows ten single journeys. It is valid for a full year thus making it more use than the weekly season for occasional travellers like me.

It would be a bit of a lie to say that the scenery along the 2A’s route was dramatic or exciting. There is a pleasant enough section between the two towns with green fields and woods, but that’s about as far as it goes. It’s easy enough to switch off for a while and watch the world go by, at least. For the most part this is a typical suburban route, but generally it is acceptably punctual and does its job competently.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2519031029830631/k2311a0319/3.19.10