Mexico Chichen-Itza  » Travel  »
Merida, Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico
  • My family and I were staying in Playa del Carmen and this was definitely on our list
  • Climbing it was not a problem and I was pretty satisfied with myself that I reached the top without stopping ( I was panting at the few last steps)

• by bethbarl

One of the places I visited in Mexico is Chichen-Itza, an ancient and historical ruin in the Yucatan peninsula. My family and I were staying in Playa del Carmen and this was definitely on our list. Previously, my husband was already in the area and he promised that he would take us all to this ancient Mayan ruin. My husband rented a car for this trip and although it took us several hours (2 ½ - 3 as we did it in a leisurely manner with a slight detour in Tulum) to go to the site, the roads were good. My then younger kids were also well behaved despite the heat.

Along the way, we also visited the seaside ruins in Tulum which were quite impressionable. But, nothing could prepare me for the wonderful vista which was the Chichen-Itza. There is a parking at the entrance of the ruins and after paying the customary entrance fees, we

set out to explore the ruins. Our Spanish is not so bad, we did read a lot before and had our books with us which was the main reason we dispensed away with the idea of taking guides.

I could only gape when I first saw the temple. For me, the main attraction is the pyramid or El Castillo as it is called and from a distance looks like a pyramid with a flatter base at the top. There was a wide stairs in front flanked by 2 jaguars. I was really bent on climbing it and off I went without inhibitions and a disregard for the consequences (we were to take turns doing the pyramid as my 2nd child was too young to do this). Climbing it was not a problem and I was pretty satisfied with myself that I reached the top without stopping ( I was panting at the ...

• few last steps). Which was just as well as I reached the top, I completely froze. I was up so high that I could not even bear to look down for fear of falling. The view from up was magnificent and beyond description. From up there, I could see the whole area with lots of trees and vegetation and the smaller ruins (the temple of the warriors, the observatory, among others) spread around.

Climbing down was the biggest problem I ever encountered. The steps are pretty steep (it hardly is a step) and I was on my behind and holding on to the ropes (they are there for a reason) for dear life. A lot of tourists were doing the same so I was not ashamed of doing this. Better this way than actually rolling down. I kept looking and concentrated at the steps and not at my surroundings for fear of falling. Vertigo was the

word of the day. The moment my feet touched the last 10 steps, I was so relieved. And, I vowed never to climb anything again (apparently it is no longer allowed to climb the pyramid because of an accident?). All my energy was taken by my scary descent and afterwards, I could barely enjoy the Temple of the Jaguars, the Temple of the Warriors with its numerous columns and pillars.

Overall, Chichen Itza is one of the places that made a lasting impression on me (because I climbed it). Its rich history, architecture and impressive stone carvings are memories which I will always remember. The site is an easy drive and although there are hordes of tourists (not to mention souvenirs vendors) in the area, it is worth visiting this place. Tical and the Great Pyramids of Egypt? They are still on my list but I will just be there to enjoy the scenery.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3818031029140731/k2311a0318/3.18.10