Healthy Choice Spicy Shrimp Diavolo Complete Meal  » Food  »
  • Unfortunately, the meal did not live up to my high expectations
  • Even though I was disappointed in the Healthy Choice Spicy Shrimp Diavolo frozen complete meal, I would buy it again because as frozen meals go, this one is not bad
  • If you like shrimp and pasta and are looking for low calorie and low fat prepared meals, I think that you should give this Spicy Shrimp Diavolo meal a try

• by deem

I was excited when I saw this frozen meal in my supermarket freezer for several reasons. First, the entree in this Healthy Choice frozen meal is Shrimp Diavolo, which is one of my favorite foods to eat at Italian restaurants. It is supposed to be a spicy combination of shrimp and pasta in a marinara sauce so I wondered how it would translate in a frozen meal. Second, this is one of the new Healthy Choice complete meals, which consist of an entree, a vegetable, and a dessert, as opposed to their frozen entrees, which generally are only an entree and vegetable.

Third, even with all three items — the shrimp with whole grain pasta in tomato sauce, the fegetables which were broccoli florets with a few slices of carrots, and a cherry and blueberry crisp, the calorie count for this entire Healthy Choice meal is only 250 calories with 13 grams

of protein and only 2. 5 grams of fat. If you are familiar with or follow the Weight Watchers point system, this whole meal is only 4 points.

So I popped it in my supermarket cart and brought it in to work today. Unfortunately, the meal did not live up to my high expectations. First, the instructions for preparing this meal in the microwave are more complicated than they usually are for most frozen meals.

The instructions say you are supposed to remove the plastic film from the entree and slit the film over the vegetables. I just kind of pulled the film back from the entree and the dessert, but it kept falling back onto them. I also put a slit in the film over the vegetables.

I then microwaved the meal for 3 and 1/2 minutes, stirred the entree, and heated it for another minute or so.

• Although the shrimp and pasta were disappointing because I had hoped they would be really good, they were more typical of an average frozen entree. The pasta was a little mushy and the tomato sauce, though it was slightly seasonedmand not totally bland, was not anywhere near as spicy as shrimp diavolo is supposed to be.

The shrimp were small though there were several of them mixed in with the pasta. The vegetables were not bad though the carrots were slightly limp. I must say however that I did not care for the cherry blueberry crisp dessert at all.

However, I generally do not care much for cherry or blueberry crisp so that may not mean much. I can say that the dessert was hot and sweet. Even though I was disappointed in the Healthy Choice Spicy Shrimp Diavolo frozen complete meal, I would buy it again because

as frozen meals go, this one is not bad.

It is a change of pace for me because I eat a lot of frozen meals or entrees. By the time I finished eating this meal, I was relatively satisfied because it does seem to have more food than the typical frozen entree. In addition, the point value/calorie value of this complete meal is lower than most frozen food products so that means I can use my points or calories on a bigger dinner.

The price on these frozen meals is good too. I can usually pick them up at my local grocery store on sale for not more than $2. 50 each so they are also an economical meal for me to take to lunch.

If you like shrimp and pasta and are looking for low calorie and low fat prepared meals, I think that you should give this Spicy Shrimp Diavolo meal a try.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2718031028970731/k2311a0318/3.18.10