The Front Yard, entertainment on St. John  » Entertainment  »
Cruz Bay, St. John, USVI 00831 (right next to the police station)
  • I definitely wouldn't recommend The Front Yard for everyone
  • I used to stop in there occasionally after work for a drink and to shoot darts, and I've never had a problem
  • You're more likely to have a happier and safer experience there if you know what to expect first

• by Davis Tucker

You won’t find a menu or fancy surroundings at The Front Yard, because it’s basically a bar. You will find several pool tables, dart boards, and even a jukebox with music in the English language. That may sound funny to you, but between St. Thomas and St.

John, there are very few places that have jukeboxes, and most of the places that have them offer mostly music in the Spanish language. St. John is a United States territory, but it’s also a melting pot of many different island cultures.

The Front Yard is also a pretty roomy place for a small island. There’s more than enough space to move around. You can also usually find a

table outside, in front of the place.

I mentioned they don’t have a menu, but you can get a bag of chips or pretzels from the bar if you’re starving. I definitely wouldn’t recommend The Front Yard for everyone. It’s an extremely casual place, probably most suitable for a younger crowd, and particularly people who take playing pool pretty seriously.

They’re open very late, often past 2 am, so it’s a pretty popular spot for locals working at restaurants and other bars in the area to stop at after work. If you’re a tourist, and you want to check it out, I would recommend going in a group, for the simple fact that there’s safety in numbers.

• As a tourist, I would also recommend just keeping to yourselves, and being respectful of the locals if you expect the same in return.

It’s their territory, and a lot of them feel very strongly about that fact. It’s not an overly dangerous place, but there have been some less than ideal occurences there in the past. I used to stop in there occasionally after work for a drink and to shoot darts, and I’ve never had a problem.

It’s just the kind of place that will never make my list of safest places to go on St. John, which is ironic, because the police station is located right next door. The St.

John police station is

an entirely different story, that I really won’t get into here. I’ll just say that the St. John police are exactly famous for their reliability, and a lot of them give off an air that they’re exempt from the laws they’re supposed to be enforcing.

Life on a small island like St. John is unique. I haven’t provided my review of The Front Yard to completely deter you from checking it out, but more in the spirit of arming you with information.

You’re more likely to have a happier and safer experience there if you know what to expect first. My final recommendation is for tourists visiting The Front Yard to check it out before sunset. It’s generally a fun place.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5918031028860731/k2311a0318/3.18.10