Viewsonic projector Pro8100  » Electronics  »
  • Being a big fan of Viewsonic and its monitors, I decided to test drive one of their projectors, model Pro8100 to be exact
  • What really attracted me to this model is the steep price drop which took the cost down to under $1,500 from original cost of from over $4,000 when it was first released two years
  • This model was engineered specifically toward home theater market, and I thought if I was to buy a big screen TV, why not go all the way and but this projector
  • The colors were great and accurate while showing amazing details, just as I was expecting it to do
  • Maybe the biggest problem with this projector was its remote control and menus that I both found very hard and slow to navigate around

• by cadami

Being a big fan of Viewsonic and its monitors, I decided to test drive one of their projectors, model Pro8100 to be exact. What really attracted me to this model is the steep price drop which took the cost down to under $1,500 from original cost of from over $4,000 when it was first released two years. Certainly something originally costing that kind of money has to be worth looking at with those prices now available, right? Well, yes and no.

This model was engineered specifically toward home

theater market, and I thought if I was to buy a big screen TV, why not go all the way and but this projector. I would get 100 inches projections of the highest quality at the fraction of the cost. In that sense, this monitor served great. With its 1080p capacity, it could easily display HD content coming from my DirecTV satellite receiver. The colors were great and accurate while showing amazing details, just as I was expecting it to do.

What most ...

• reviews I looked at don’t tell you is how pixilation (little dots on the screen) is visible on some of this projectors. I had to take few steps away from the screen for the effect of those pixilation to get lost. Also light output adjustment seemed a bit over complicated for me. Maybe it was my lack of tech knowledge, but it took me a while to tweak this projector so that too much light did not hurt my eyes.

Maybe the biggest problem with this projector was

its remote control and menus that I both found very hard and slow to navigate around. I expected smooth interface and I got one that was very limited with such options as coloring calibration giving my constant headache.

In the end, I’m using the return policy to give this projector back. It’s not that it is a bad projector unworthy the money, but I’m on the quest to find the perfect one for me. And regardless how close this one comes to that point, it is not quite there yet.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1618031028790731/k2311a0318/3.18.10