Wai Lana Figure 8 Fitness Ring Kit  » Health  »
  • While I have seen various kinds of stretch bands and fitness cords, I had no experience with the figure 8 and was happy to receive a forty-two minute DVD that would provide the necessary exercises
  • I found this to be a very relaxing workout
  • I think if you are looking for a form of exercise that helps to tone, and keep you limber and supple, this is really the way to go
  • The lightweight resistant cords definitely help to target muscle toning without all the wear and tear of a cardio class

• by Jude244

Although it was created more than 80 years ago, Pilates has recently gathered a huge following due to its body sculpting effects. Pilates when combined with Yoga provides a beautiful balance of strength, concentration and coordination. As I have always been curious to try out the two together, I was delighted when I saw the Pilates Yoga Figure 8 Fitness Ring Kit at my local TJ Maxx store.

The Wai Lana Figure 8 Fitness Ring Kit provided everything I needed to get started right away. While I have seen various kinds of stretch bands and fitness cords, I had no experience with the figure 8 and was happy to receive a forty-two minute DVD that would provide the necessary exercises.

The Pilates Yoga kit came with a figure 8

and a fitness ring. The figure 8 appears to be a large circle of stretch tubing that has padded handles on the two ends, and then a third pad that gathers the middle together to create the figure 8 shape. The ring is a smaller circle of tubing with two padded handles.

Let me just start by saying this is a very gentle relaxed workout. The whole thing is more like a session in soothing stretching than a workout per say. The instructor appears in a setting that resembles paradise with rolling waves, and gentle breezes.

Slowly and deliberately I began by using the figure 8 to perform rolls up, in which you use the device while lying down to roll up and stretch out your spine. Next ...

• I did legs circles, single leg and double leg stretches, before moving to other exercises that used the ring rather than the figure 8.

Using the ring I performed a set of corkscrews, ab crunches, and twisting crunches that helped work on my core as well as the Boat move which had me balance on my butt, put my feet in the ring and then pull the ring with both hands. That last move was a little more challenging than the others as it required more balance. After the boat move I did two more moves, namely the kneeling low row, and the standing kick series, before moving back to the figure 8 to complete the remainder of the exercises.

After moving back to the figure 8, I

got to get a great arm workout in. Here, I was able to do front punches, biceps curl ups, triceps extensions, and the easy warrior pose.

Finally, I did the stretching cool down portion of the workout which contained a series, of shoulder, elbow, and front and side bends to complete the workout.

I found this to be a very relaxing workout. It almost seems a shame to call it a workout at all since it seemed so peaceful and soothing. I think if you are looking for a form of exercise that helps to tone, and keep you limber and supple, this is really the way to go. The lightweight resistant cords definitely help to target muscle toning without all the wear and tear of a cardio class.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3418031028730731/k2311a0318/3.18.10